R SERIES CREWCAB

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Re: R SERIES CREWCAB

I will measure the frame this afternoon when I get home from driving my wife around her errands.
I spent most of an hour cleaning my tools and putting them away.
My heavy lifting daze are over. I need to go and look at a Craigslist folding engine hoist that I can leave out in the carport, or, maybe better, put it in the shop and put my heavy duty cherry picker outside. I'll ask for input from my son since he is " baby sitting me" now. He was the best help with unloading the R150 frame, yesterday. His safety is my first concern.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:21 pm

I agree with you, Dean466, the frames you mentioned are rather floppy and probably not suitable for some real 24 valve Cummins torque. I will be looking forward to your replies.
I have no doubt this frame will be more than adequate for our needs. Here are the measurements that were asked for.
Overall length: 246 5/8 inches (6.264 meters)
Depth of frame at the centreline: 9 inches (22.86cm)
Top and bottom flange width: 3 inches (7.62cm)
The frame material is 5/16 inch (7.9375mm)
This IHC frame has a substantial crossmember that doubles as the mounting place for the driveshaft carrier bearing. I would like to see this stay in the frame.
It is too bad the OEM pedals were cut off with a hacksaw or I might have been tempted to use them. What is left of the pedal arms look like forged "H" beams.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Nikki,
That sounds like a really solid frame. I expect it want handle all the torque you'll be subjecting it to, plus whatever you put in the bed.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:25 pm

I would be very interested to know what the bare weight of this frame might be. The seller thinks it might be 1700 pounds, but I am more inclined to think maybe 1000 #. I am estimating that the still attached parts, I will not be using, must weigh 200 pounds and the collection of grease and dirt mix, around the serviceable areas, could be another 50 plus pounds.
As soon as my back feels better I will make a frame transport dolly similar to the one I made for our L110 Shorty frame. The Shorty frame can be moved with one hand.
Attachments
FRAME DOLLEY ON FRAME.jpg
FRAME DOLLEY.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:03 pm

I got a super deal on a hanging scale on Amazon this morning. The scale is good for 1000KG. The price included free shipping and 2 day delivery. The best local price for the same unit was more than 10 times as much money. I would prefer to buy local first, but, I cannot afford to subsidise an overpriced brick and mortar business.
I want to weigh the components that will make up the two IHC trucks we have plans for.
Knowing these weights will help me decide on the size of airsprings and tire size. I have often wondered what an IHC door weighs. How much heavier is a four door crewcab than a standard cab?. What is the weight of a DANA 60 high pinion steering axle and what does a DANA 60 rear axle with disc brakes tip the scale at? I would like to get a proper weight on our Cummins 24 valve engine. Knowing how much an NVG4500 and an NVG241dld transfercase is important to me. And then there is that all important IHC R150 frame the seller suggested was 1700 plus pounds.
A running total and final weight may be important. Four wheel ventilated disc brakes from Ford E and F 350 should be more than adequate.
Attachments
CRANE HANGING SCALE.jpg
hanging crane scale.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:45 am

Some day I would like to build something along these lines. I would really enjoy using a 4dr R series with an 8' box as a work truck. It's a struggle to keep all of my tools dry/safe in my standard cab R. Not to mention the hassle of having to load/unload the truck each day as I do not have indoor parking for the R at the moment.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:20 am

Maybe, if and when this project is finished and if it turns out good enough I might get lucky enough to find someone with a 356 C willing to make a trade.
I bought a 356SC way back In the 1960s.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:30 pm

I was looking on http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/se ... ine+mounts this afternoon. I will need to adapt something from Energy Suspension for the rear cab support. This cab came with a maple 2" X 8" 6 foot clear plank for rear cab support. The plank was bolted to the frame and the cab bottom support points. I think I can do much better with better options we have 64 years after this cab was built. I will be changing the rear cab mount to a centre point mount. (picture) This STANDARD cab floor is from an R190. I intend to use the factory pressed floor section of this R190 IHC to replace the flat 16 gauge floor fitted by Orrville Metal. I think this will give a better IHC factory built look.
I bought a Scout/Saginaw tilt column from http://scoutpluss.com/ . This column does not have a shift lever and it has the key in the column.
I am really itching to get back out to the shop, but until I a Doctor's clearance, I am stuck in the house doing some stretching and work-hardening exercises. I had an MRI on Wednesday. My lower spine shows lots of damage from years of heavy lifting. So I am working on a floor-plan that will accommodate an extra hydraulic engine hoist in the shop. My human crane days are over.
Attachments
CAB MOUNT.jpg
r190 CENTRE REAR CAB MOUNT

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Put this build in high gear and let's go! :)
Sun has come back out in Central CA.
:)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:57 pm

One build at a time, for me.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off