R SERIES CREWCAB

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Re: R SERIES CREWCAB

I need to keep the crewcab in storage to hold up the appliance cardboard crate. I repurpose these cardboard cases as small parts paint booths. The crewcab has about 8 small window doors inside.
I have a Craigslist range hood to draw down any over-spray.
Attachments
spraybooth back side.jpg
SPRAY BOOTH INSIDE.jpg
SPRAY BOOTH 3.jpg
SPRAY BOOTH 2.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:30 pm

My wife and I were having a conversation today about a 47re automatic transmission versus an NVG 4500 five speed standard. She thinks and I tend to agree that an automatic is better suited to my advancing years and certainly better in our ever increasing traffic density.
I have collected everything needed to attach an NVG 4500 five speed and 241dld transfer case to my 24 valve Cummins. This includes the under-dash pedal combination. Today, the local Craigslist does not have a 47re automatic, but that could change sooner, possibly, if I advertise for that transmission. There is no guarantee that a CL automatic will be any good, even though many sellers appear to be selling only "rebuilt". I never pay any more than core value on CL.
There are a few engine and automatic combinations at the local Dodge/Ram recycler. The auto recycler pricing seems OK, to me. BUT
I have a new Cummins 24 Valve electronic engine complete with the factory ECU. The Cummins ECU communicates with the Ram computer to control the 47re,(e = electronic) transmission.
I can buy a good used non electronic 12 valve Cummins and install a 47rh (h = hydraulic) transmission. While this will cost a few bucks, I can handle it.
Here is what I am entertaining as a real, but somewhat expensive option. I can buy a complete kit to convert my 24 valve to a store bought and rebuilt and guaranteed non-electronic Bosch "P" pump. This does two things for me. I have the engine and I know it to be good. The "P" pump conversion takes the electronics out of the equation and makes the start and run into a one wire set-up.
There are more than a few conversion kits available and I have to do some due diligence research on this really big deal before I make a commitment to buy anything.
Attachments
NVG 4500 2.jpg
NVG 4500 FRONT 1.jpg
CUMMINS 24 VALVE BRINGING IT HOME.jpg
cummins 24 valve.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:07 am

My 2 cents: post a FS ad for the manual trans kit. Buy a “mild built” (thinking tow/haul upgrades ) Automatic from a reputable diesel truck shop or perhaps jasper (etc) and leave the electronic injection on the Cummins. The engine was designed as an electronic injected unit correct? With the injection pressures/patterns/timing designed specifically to work with the piston bowl shape/compression values/etc you know you will have a good running reliable power plant that any Dodge dealer or diesel truck shop can service. Add to that the factory matched automatic and you have a drivetrain that will work together as intended. Again I’ll mention-serviceable. There may come a day when you don’t feel like working on the truck, but you still want/can drive it.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 am

I trust your advise and thoughts on this situation. Your suggestion is one of the better options I was seriously considering.
I will need to buy the Ram OEM chassis computer. My favorite Dodge recycling / wrecker may have a few for sale. This chassis computer controls the 47re automatic and the OEM alternator. There is the added benefit of a working OBDII port. The rather attractive RAM gauge cluster may be able to be transplanted into an Old IHC dashboard. The chassis computer drives the gauges, I was told.
This may be the most cost effective route. There is value in the complete manual NVG 4500 transmission and related parts to attach it to any B series Cummins.
I am taking my wife to lunch and shopping today.
If cannot get to the Dodge wrecker today, Monday will work. I want to " have all of my ducks in a row", so to speak, before I need them ducky parts.
It is 04:55 and I am going to try to get back to sleep. The alarm will sound in a few hours.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:59 pm

I stopped at the Dodge truck recycler today and left a request order for a 47re automatic, complete and a chassis computer. If they have a nice condition set of RAM gauges, I will likely take that also.
Now, I have options.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:15 pm

That’s going to be one nice set-up. I’d better start stacking pennies in case you ever get bored with it.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:26 pm

You have all of the pennies you will need in that 356. I appreciate your two cents worth. Sometimes I need to confirm my thoughts with a trusted other builder.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:50 am

It'd be a hard sell. I'll start putting pennies away just in case though. ;-)
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Interesting link. I found a picture of my Orrville Crewcab. My Orrville crewcab remains in dry storage while I work out some logistics.
http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/crown_s ... _steel.htm
Attachments
ORRVILLE RIGHT FRONT.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:20 am

Immortalized. The roof shape on yours is much more appealing to me than the short box truck higher up on the page.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off