Sol's '54 R112

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:51 pm

Re: Sol's '54 R112

I had snagged 2 pairs of Corbeau seats off craigslist quite a while ago but I didn't really care for either of them once I sat in them, so I have been half ass looking for something else. I narrowed it down to either BMW convertible seats with the integrated seat belts or GTO seats.

Well

Missing the plastic trim/power switches/tracks off the drivers seat and the seams on the upper seats are starting to pull apart (which is extremely common to these seats) but they were local-ish and pretty cheap, so I jumped on them.

Other than the seat belt mount the tracks appear to be the same side to side, so I stuck it on the drivers seat to see how it would be on the mounting base I had tacked up for the other seats. The GTO bases are power up/down, front/back, and tilt front/back and do add some height obviously. I have it set all the way down here and it felt good sitting in it, which means my mocked up base needs to be shortened so I can have some adjustability other than up.

-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:05 am

I just read your build post from the beginning. I admire your work on so many levels. One of those levels is your willingness to change when you think you have a better idea. The rest of your work is pure genius.
I thank you for showing all that you have done. I am newly inspired to get out and get at my projects, again.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:43 pm

The GTO seats look good in there. I like the base you built it is quite sporty looking.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:49 am

Finally made some engine/trans mounts so the engine is sitting in the frame now instead of on stands.

The passenger side has the bent tube for oil filter clearance

Tacked up the turbo manifold also. Not sure if I like where the turbo is sitting, might rotate it down more. This is the stock turbo off my cummins engine, supposedly it can make decent power on the 2JZ, so may as well try it.

-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:30 pm

Very inspiring! Great work, Joe!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:01 pm

Man it has been a while. Poor girl got buried in the garage and forgotten about. Finally took the time to clear some space out to work on her. Little bit of welding here and there really. Started ordering some parts to get the engine running, biggest being the fuel cell and in-tank pump set up. Big foam guy goes in the tank and the pump goes inside that to stop fuel starvation when accelerating/braking/turning.

Changed the intake manifold as I didn't like the one I had bought originally. That one had all the hardware inside which I didn't like and also couldn't actually tighten because the only access was by shoving my arm in the throttle body opening, which only fit up to about the halfway point lol.

Old

New, may need to alter the inner fender a bit for turbo piping clearance but I think it'll be worth it.

The reason I didn't buy this one in the first place is it is meant for the factory turbo version of this engine, which has a different head and the ports/bolt holes don't line up. The solution is port matching and just welding the lower runners to the new plenum. Of course I ran out of argon as soon as I sat down to do the welding. The place I get it from is 30 minutes the opposite way from my office and closes at 4:30, so it is not very convenient to get the tank exchanged these days.

-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:19 pm

Welcome back Joe, you have a lot going on. Looking forward to follow your build.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:36 pm

Since I ran out of argon for the tig, pulled the mig out and worked on fixing my biggest mistake on this thing, the firewall I had hacked up for the v8.

Tack tack tack

Grind grind grind

-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun May 02, 2021 7:23 pm

Snagged some more go fast stuff, pistons, rods, and clutch. I was only looking for around 400hp which is the breaking point of the stock rods. I was trying to find a set of factory turbo pistons and rods but folks wanted way too much for those parts used. Now I'll be good to about 800 hp if I feel inclined to put down silly numbers like that haha.

Worked on the grill a bit. The bottom was bent out about an inch on the sides so heated, pulled, and hammered it back straight ish.

Front clip back on again. I welded in a patch under the pass side headlight while I was messing with it. Still need to do the drivers side which is in worse shape

-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 11, 2021 3:53 pm

looking great! firewall looks good as new to me and no one will know the difference.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off