Sol's '54 R112

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Re: Sol's '54 R110

Been watching your progress. Very nice work. Getting some inspiration from you and others in the build section. I'm finally getting my S in the shop to start the rebuild, hopefully next week. Seeing the hours of work ahead, I'm almost afraid to haul it in there.

BTW, Sol, did you know there is a bug running around the top left corner of your page? ;)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Heh, the bug gets 'em all :D

Filled all these dang holes in.

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Been debating on color since I bought this. I'm not a fan of red. If the hood matched the rest of the truck I would probably leave it unpainted. While staring at the paint shelf of Home Depot, I found this color in the 'Rustoleum professional line' of stuff. Dark Machine Gray. I like it. Not too light but not too dark either.

I'm building a shop truck/mild hot rod for myself, so rattle cans are fine. Plus this thing has so many dents and dings it would probably take me 10 years to straighten it all out. I figure I'll knock out the big dents in the fenders, get it driving, then work on fixing the little stuff.

Picked up a model to experiment with since it is cheap to repaint it haha. This has matte clear on it.

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Does anybody have some detailed pics of the fronts of the inner fenders? I'll need to straighten mine out on both sides and I haven't found any good pics showing how they are supposed to be.

Drivers side

Pass. side

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:54 pm

The big thing you will need to know is the front to back measurements of the inner fender aprons. The right inner fender apron on our R120 was about 3/4"shorter because of a previous collision. Someone on the forum can help you with that information. I cannot get outside and measure anything today.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Up and out with the old frame.

And down. Welcome to your new home.

Jerk face here dropped his ball through the grill and whined the entire **** time I was trying to get the cab off because he couldn't figure out how to get the ball back :confused:

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:44 pm

you are getting after it! I love your progress. I wish i had more time to put in on mine!

What is the plan for body and paint? patina, leave the dents? Or get it all straightened out and colored?

Your nasty dent on your grill looks similar to one that i had to attempt to pound out. Although, i think yours is worse. Keep up the good work

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:10 pm

Well I'm not a fan of red (what little there is left) and the hood was painted white at some point so it no longer matches so I'm just going to spray bomb it for now. I shot one side of the bed in a gray I liked which there is a pic of it on my test model back a few posts.

The current course of action is fix the worst dents now, shoot some paint on it to get it all one color, finish the frame/engine swap and get it on the road. Then I'll work on fixing the million smaller dings/dents on each panel as I have time.
-Joe
'54 R112

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:54 pm

Cab mounts. The simple ones are for the front. I had made all 4 that way the first time but the rear mounts fell inboard on the frame rails and only had about 3/8" on the rail so had to whip up v.2. I had to shorten the height on them 1" after this because I hadn't noticed originally that there is a 1" step in the frame from where the front mounts ended up to where the rears are. Glad I caught it now instead of later

This is before I noticed the 1" step up in the frame so it is higher in the rear in this pic. Bed is just sitting sitting in place also. I'll need to move the rear axle back 4" to get the wheelbase correct. Going to be linked and bagged since I have all the parts from a previous vehicle.

Last edited by gots_a_sol on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:59 am

gots_a_sol wrote:Up

Jerk face here dropped his ball through the grill and whined the entire **** time I was trying to get the cab off because he couldn't figure out how to get the ball back :roll:

I'll take "jerk-face" anytime. I have a dog that looks just like him (part Chow, part Great Pyrenees) and is a great dog. (unless you are a cat... he thinks they are put on this earth to chase).
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off