1956 S120 4x4

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Re: 1956 S120 4x4

So, replaced the Holley single with a Daytona replacement from Argentina. Completely re-wired the binder with a EZ Wire harness. Changed out the gauges and updated all of the sending units. Changed the lights over to LEDs (except the headlights) and she is now road worthy. Up next, are the windows and seals, followed by seat restoration and body work.
Attachments
20170104_120743_HDR_resized.jpg

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:01 am

Re: 1956 S120 4x4

With Mater, after I vaporized the piston (but before I knew it was gone from the hole...) my compression readings were 128-133# except for #5 hole...which was zero. Not a trace of compression showed, which lead to pulling the head and discovering an empty hole except for the rod and pin. Compression tests are the time-honored 1st step toward finding what's wrong with an engine. Finding an empty hole and deeply scored walls is REALLY disheartening.
If you have the stuff for a leakdown test, great! But if all you have is a compression gauge, go for it and test...just be sure you can keep the battery charged during the testing, because that and not having the carb choke and throttle plates wide open, will screw up any readings you might get. And understand there are things you can do to narrow down where a compression leak might be, like squirting some motor oil into a hole and testing again. As in...if the reading goes up, you might have a problem with rings.

Mike
Previous

Return to L, R and S Build-Off