The Mater build...

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:31 pm

Re: The Mater build...

I'm baack! My original username got garbled when work changed the ways they handle the whole interweb junk. Thus the username FrecklesToo. The goofy reminder link that I got when I couldn't log in anymore was also hijacked, and sent me to Juno26. So...a 'new' username and account it is!
The speaker box never was connected, and I sold it to a member in Nevada, who got a monster deal on it. My radio situation will be served by a ceiling mount, as found in farm tractors, since I had only the speaker and not even any wiring.
I had an insulin reaction whose aftermath has taken 7 months to completely recover from, so very little has been done with Mater. Mostly some research that indicates Mater is at least 2, possibly 3, trucks' worth of pieces. The doors, front clip and rear fenders are from the titled truck, the cab from another, and the box and frame from yet another truck...so no bogus 'restoration' for this one.
But the weather has broken, it's well and truly spring, and work will resume in the next few days.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Just keep linking to the old threads you may have had, will leave the old profile up so you can do that. Eventually, I might figure out how to transfer, but do not hold your breath. Hard to teach old dog new tricks.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm not going to worry too much about becoming 'Freckles' again. I've learned too much and had too many things shown me, that it's more important that I just exist on this site, than otherwise. If MY junk has taught anyone anything, I'm grateful for small miracles.

Mike

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:44 pm

Next order of business, before I lose the (easy) opportunity, is to rebuild the front springs (insert Teflon slider sheets from Speedway) and get the 4 degree caster wedges installed. This particular job will be MUCH easier without the engine in, so... Anyway, pics to follow as the job progresses in the next few days. Sadly, I had the chance to 'doll it up' a little by using white Teflon inserts, and chose black instead.
The Dodge axle that was installed when the truck got disc brakes shows only about 1/2 degree caster by my Craftsman magnetic protractor; it's small enough that the width of the protractor's indicator needle partially obscures the reading by being a bit too wide for such a small measurement. A couple weeks of study and research came up with 4 degrees as being the most reasonable to shoot for; Dodge called for the stock installation to be 3 degrees, per one shop's books. 3 degree shims are tough to find. 4 are hard enough, but at least they're available.
So spring rebuild, and then the next step.
Onward and upward, eh?

Mike

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Yup, I'm still around. It's just been a busy few months. Work progresses...somewhat...but rather more toward the glacial progression/regression scale of time. I've decided to modify the steering into a cross-steer arrangement, rather than keep the draglink. Along with that, the frame and steering mount plate will be brought out of the sloppy workmanship it exhibits. Thanks for the sanity check, Nikkinutshop!
Other items are being considered, such as a 2-or 4-barrel manifold, splitting the exhaust, and such, but all that takes an inferior position to getting the steering right, and getting it road-worthy in the 1st place. And we ain't there yet, not by a long shot. The good news is, that my retirement papers are in, and will be effective 1 Oct 17. Most of September will be spent burning vacation time that needs to go away. I'll work 4 entire days in September...if I can bring myself not to call in.
Anyway, pics to follow as work time ramps up.

Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:29 pm

congrats on the retirement. I foresee lots of time with the truck in your future!
Previous

Return to L, R and S Build-Off