The Mater build...

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:18 am

Re: The Mater build...

probably depends on how you really envision using the truck once back on the road. If it's a 4x4 truck that is going to have to get you out of situations, and you got the cash.....putting a locking diff on your truck would be awfully neat.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:08 am

Work is a couple days from resuming. Long range weather forecasts show decent weather the next couple weeks. My original IHC T98a is being adapted (see my response to the SV engine swap thread) and things are looking actually decent for a change, after fooling with the weather goofing up proceedings I think maybe mid-April for back on the road. Maybe the State of Montana knows more than I suspected: I got the license renewal reminder 4 Mar. I guess they don't want me on the road illegally. USD 54.00 to renew, but the truck's eligible for permanent plates if I can come up with about 3 years' worth of renewal fees. We'll see, I guess.
Anyhow, normal service is 'close' to resuming... ;)
Mike

I'm from the top half of the bottom third...and you?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat May 07, 2016 10:01 am

Good Morning!
I'm at the point of doing the body work on the front clip before I re-install it. The welting (between the cab and fenders) is in sad shape: not entirely perished, but well on the way, with cracks and brittle edges. Thus, it's due for replacement. The original welting is held by some small 'rivet'-looking pieces. I intend to clip those with end cutters and install new welting with the 'Pop'-type rivets, flattening heads as needed. I'd be looking to retain the 'as built' rivet head height, if not the width, too.
What has anyone else used to hold this welting in place? My thoughts were to try 3M weatherstrip adhesive if I can't get the rivets to set right. What think the crowd?
Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 10, 2016 10:02 am

I would think that your idea of 3M weatherstrip adhesive would probably work pretty well.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 10, 2016 1:07 pm

On our non IHC, I used 4-40 stainless screws to hold the fuzzy window track in place. If this idea can be adapted to welting is something I do not know. Here is a tip: Check the date on the 3M tubes. I just threw out five tubes that had turned into an elastic, not sticky mess. The unopened tubes were about 5 years old and always stored in a cool place. http://3mauto.com/how-to-center/automot ... vOdUHOL.97
AU-VE-CO https://www.auveco.com/ make and sell thousands of automotive clips. There must be something in their inventory that will work.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:17 am

Re: The Mater build...brake updates

So there I was, innocently working on my truck, when I noticed some anomalies with the brakes as they were installed by the guy who rebuilt this truck after he bought the wreck. He re-used the stock HydroVac mounted remotely as the factory had done on the right frame rail, and just stabbed the disc/drum combo into the system. No residual valves, no separate lines for front and rear...just stabbed the disc brakes in where the stock IHC drums had been.
When I actually saw, drove and exchanged $5,000 hard-earned dollars for the truck, the PO mentioned that 'the brakes go to the floor sometimes; we think it's the HydroVac acting up...maybe a bad vacuum connection..' And, shame on me, I accepted this without question when I shoulda knowed better. :oops: Recent questions and responses within other build threads have had me researching what I should have in place, and I've come to the conclusion that I need to re-do the brakes altogether: specifically, replace the master cylinder and booster, and add residual pressure valves and re-do lines appropriately. The master cylinder that the axle donor Dodge had, is a common 1.125" dual outlet jobby, used in about 2 dozen various vehicles if you can belief Rock Auto, and it's mounted on the front of a firewall-mounted booster. This is not anything like what I have in place now.
So now I have a new plan. :whistling2:
That would be: get the Chevy 6/SM465 installed and working as needed, then spend another $250-300 on brakes and get hanging pedals in the bargain. Actually it'll get hanging pedals along with the engine squared away when I install a hydraulic throwout bearing. The master cylinder for that will be in front of a hanging pedal anyway.
I'm busy researching/pricing/scheming within Amazon, Jeg's and Speedway making sure what I need.
Right now the Finanzministerium (my long-suffering wife) seems pretty smart when she questioned my sanity buying Mater in the first place. :t0116:
Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:02 am

I bought two tubes of 3M weatherstrip and upholstery glue from the local auto parts store. This product is fantastic. We are using it on a headliner installation and door seals. This 3M glue improved the adhesion of the 3M Dual-Loc on difficult surfaces like the back side of automotive carpet. I used this product to improve the stress relief where the wiring exits sensors.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:06 am

oh man where did you find that radio speaker? did it come with the truck? ive been looking for them but they arent in any trucks around my area and have never found one on the internet.
1947 IH KB5
1951 GMC Pickup
1956 IH S110
1968 Chevrolet Chevelle

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Wilcox246 wrote:oh man where did you find that radio speaker? did it come with the truck? ive been looking for them but they arent in any trucks around my area and have never found one on the internet.

The last two I've seen come up on Ebay went for around $300. Been looking for one for about 6 years but I'm not paying $300, I'll sing to myself first. :)
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off