1957 S100 Build

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: 1957 S100 Build

I am using a painless harness. Did run a resistor at each rear lamp to get the directional to flash. Sounds like the same deal for the brake lights. Used the connector at the adjustable proportioning valve to illuminate the brakes lamps.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:57 am

Well, the original motor has been shipped off to California. Received my crate motor yesterday and started fitting but still waiting on my transmission to be overhauled so i can do my final fit and install the transmission crossmember. Also ordered a 6-71 supercharger from Dyers which should be in the end of the week. Hope to have completed by end of August for a big show on Labor day weekend.
Attachments
eng.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:26 pm

Looking forward to seeing the blower!!! Are you cutting a hole in the hood?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Some time ago, I posted my experience with a Painless Performance wiring harness kit I bought. Many of the wires had extensive corrosion on the terminated and the unterminated ends of the wires. I spent considerable time and money changing corroded wires for new. My call to the Painful Performance customer service was anything but helpful service. The trained monkey in customer service laid the blame on me, for the corrosion, before he listened to me. The less than polite BS customer service representative raised his voice and told me that PP source all of their wire from American suppliers. He said it was not the problem of PP when their supplier distributed wire made in some country other than USA.
I am a mechanic, now retired, and this wiring was not my first experience. I wired my R120 with a different harness and in 20 years and 225,000 mile I never had any electric problems.
It is not like I tried to cheap out and buy the Painless harness, it was about the same price as other harness kits. I freely opened my savings and dumped $122,000+ into my Ford. I was not trying to cheap out and buy the lower priced anything. The local dealer was sympathetic and was not able to offer much help because I had "carved" up the original harness. I understand.
I installed the PP kit in my 1940 Ford. The '40 has yet to leave the shop and I have had a few corrosion related issues and I expect to have this ongoing problem. It is my intention to cut out the PP wiring and replace it all with an American Auto Wire or Ron Francis.
My problem/situation became obvious, likely because I am using LED lighting from the headlights to the tail lights and every situation in between. Wire connections must be perfect and corrosion free or LED lights will not work.
The TEC3r engine management system I opted for has an extensive set of wires in their harness and none of the wires have corrosion. I by-passed the PP harness to supply reliable power to the ECU. This system was $4765cdn when I bought it.
I was told by one of the members of this forum that the reason for a forum, such as this was to educate other members. I do not rate a forum as anything more than being a few helpful hints to anyone who knows the difference between the BS and the real thing. Unless any person is lucky enough to find the information on any subject and read it, is all of no value.
I hope that you have good success with your Painless experience. I will never use any of their branded products again.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:35 pm

OK, I do not know why this has posted three times. If it is important to have two posting removed, I will leave that up to the moderator.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:49 am

I think it's valuable to know if a particular vendor has quality issues, and particularly if they have customer service issues.

My sister has a '71 AMC Javelin [base model + 360/4-barrel/4-speed with a/c, all factory, so possibly a one-of-one build] that we are planning to restore. I frequent the AMC Forum so I can learn about which vendors have product problems, which have customer service issues, and which seem to be people you can trust. I would hope we look at this forum in the same way.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:41 am

I really hope that the OP has a great experience with his wire kit. It is reasonable to expect better performance from Made in USA. With this in mind, why would anyone think about searching a forum for a problem.
Sometimes problems happen and this is where customer service could have made it right. I was looking for a fix and I was polite in my inquiry. I did not expect or deserve to be treated badly.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Cleaned up the engine department and cleaned up the wiring. Engine mounts are installed. Drivetrain going in tomorrow. As asked, looks like I will be cutting the hood.
Attachments
3FE24262-A674-48C4-84AC-D3342D346178.jpeg
8D755CC8-B704-4BD6-91C7-FA8064634EB6.jpeg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Took care of the extra posts, Not on as much as I would like, No longer in a house and internet is spotty.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:48 pm

oh man, that is going to look sick.

Do you have any clearance issues with your front tires? I had to trim out the inner fenders more in the front to keep the tires from rubbing
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off