One more L-110 joins the party

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:02 am

One more L-110 joins the party

I believe I have entered year number ten on this restoration. I was hot off a complete restoration of a Super A tractor, truck can't be that hard right? Little did I know!

This truck was bought new in 1951 by the family we bought our ranch from in 1974. It's always been a part of the ranch. It's what I learned to drive in when I was twelve, from my big sister (she was sixteen). I used to bury this truck in mud hunting ducks and geese - never getting stuck! I used to drive it to town to hang out with friends when I was twelve, only got pulled over once. The cop recognized me and suggested next time I sit on a phone book, gotta love a small town!

Everyone thought I was crazy to attempt a restoration. And I'm pretty they all STILL think I'm crazy.

Hopefully this inspires someone to get back to work on their binder - it IS possible!

P.S. Still hunting for good mustache bars and front bumper! (hint, hint)

I'm sure you can all put the photos together for a progress report.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:34 am

Re: One more L-110 joins the party

Two more:

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:01 am

Just a thought, if your mustache bars are not chrome, but Stainless Steel, They can be repaired, and straightened, and probably for less than a "new" set. Also, if you find a larger truck with the three bars on the front, because they did set up higher, the bars generally did not get as banged up. Just a Thought.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks, the plan for now is to straighten the SS bars. I also have a '51 B160, but the bars are painted. I could straighten them and have them chromed, but I'd like to stick with the original SS.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:07 pm

that front bumper looks very fixable, the bumper guys at the auto swaps could straighten and rechrome it no problem,

finding one better are far and few between,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:40 pm

I took my bumper to a shop last week. They guy said it would be about $850 and still wouldn't look right when it was done. Perhaps I need to try another shop.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:43 pm

Really nice shop for a really nicely done truck.
My Dad thought I was well and truly out to lunch when I dragged his R120 home from Calgary out to the West Coast. About a year later, I picked up Dad and Mom at YVR with the R1120, and drove them to our home. Dad sat there in silence, probably because he couldn't speak. He had tears on his cheeks and Dad kept clearing his throat.
New trucks and old trucks can do many of the same tasks. An old tuck can transport one's soul in a way not possible with a new vehicle that has not earned venerability. It takes a special person to respect an old pickup and breath new life into it. These OLD IHC trucks carried our countries through the industrial revolution, on their backs. While the persons who designed and built these trucks and those who worked them may have passed into their eternities, it falls to some of us, who remain, to preserve a little of what got us here. For what it is worth, I salute you.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:33 pm

Desert Toad wrote:I took my bumper to a shop last week. They guy said it would be about $850 and still wouldn't look right when it was done. Perhaps I need to try another shop.

These guys are always at the auto swap I go to, they quoted me $250 to do a 1947 Ferd bumper, not as busy as an IHC one, but yours doesn't look too folded up,

not saying they are the only game but there are quite a few of these old parts restoration guys, I'll collect cards again at next swap, be a good thing to post for sources.

http://www.bumperboyz.com/solution.htm
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:50 pm

Wow Nikki, beautifully said. I think my restoration began in earnest after I read Truck, a Love Story. Most likely required reading for a binder owner. Oddly enough, that book was given to me by my dad, who still thinks I'm crazy for putting this old truck back together. But you can **** well bet he'll be proud and want the first ride when I'm done!

Appreciate the comments

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:21 am

Great build & great build thread, lots of pics (much better then mine lol). That truck looks like a worthy candidate. I think that is in a father's job description to tell their son he is crazy for embarking on a project... Seems like I have been told that a fair number of times by my dad anyways. If your crazy, your not alone!

Keep up the great work, I will be reading along.
1952 L 110
1953 R 160 (parts truck)
1963 Ford C-series
1982 Ram 250 Van
1989 Nissan Pulsar NX (backup/project)
1994 Town Car (daily driver)
2000 Neon (snow plow & yard vehicle)
Next

Return to L, R and S Build-Off