1956 S-102 Build

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:09 am

1956 S-102 Build

I heard you all liked pictures..
I'm Kris and live in NE Missouri (for now). Working on moving to Phoenix. Been on this site for a while and decided I better start a build thread.

I picked this S-102 up in 2009 from a Craigslist ad for $2100 here in the St. Louis area. The previous owner bought it from a person for $2100 on the Texas/Mexico border (I actually got the Texas title) and hauled it back to Alton, IL. When he got home he said the wife got mad because he used her new fence money so he turned around and sold it for the same price he bought it for and he brought to my house at no charge (50 miles). Ford LTD hubcaps and all. It did run and drive when I got it but only had rear brakes and the carburetor leaked. The driveshaft had been cut rewelded and bad job it was (worst weld I had seen).

The extension cord wiring

My plan was to rewire it to 12 volts and have it as a daily driver but that plan has since gone to the way side. After getting into the wiring I saw little things that needed attention like all the wiring was household extension cord, the parking brake cable was wound around the frame and wire tied to the frame, all the brake cylinders were leaking and the front motor mount horseshoe was rubbing on the timing gear cover. These were just a few things.

Come to find out the reason the front mount was rubbing on the timing gear cover was due to the wrong rear motor support was used in the frame. The cross support was the wrong support and in backwards and it looks as though it like this from factory with the same rivets as the rest of the frame. So from here I kept going and one thing led to another.. the box came off, then the front clip and then I said as long as the all the body panels are off I might as well remove the cab and clean the frame. Yes you guessed it.. it never stopped there. I am now down to the bare frame.

Some of the things I have done so far. Changed the front brakes to disk brakes, changed the vacuum operated wipers to a 12 volt system made by parts I acquired, changed the rear end to a Ford 8.8 with 3.73 gears, rebuilt all the suspension with new bushings, changed the carburetor to a two barrel, changed to a different 3 speed which allowed me to change to the different steering shaft with the blinker switch in the column thanks to a member here. Have also changed the generator to an alternator. Have also removed the after market gauges in the dash and filled in the holes.

12 volt wiper conversion

Yes they go the same direction now, the plan is to redo this conversion and make them go in opposite direction like were originally.

This is how not to adjust your clutch linkage

Rebuilt brake and clutch pedal arms.

Front disk brake conversion

This is the rear engine support that was the wrong support, notice how far down it drops compared to the one I replaced it with. It was also in backwards.

All new spring bushings installed

This past week I have been busy cleaning the frame, engine and suspension for painting. I got them all cleaned, stripped, put on rust inhibitor on all bare metal, primed and now working on the paint. I did decide to paint the engine IH red because I like the contrast under the hood.

Everything coated with rust inhibitor

Cleaned out the one inch of scum out of the oil pan.

The engine, frame and suspension all primed in red oxide primer.

Today was good day, got the engine painted in the IH red.

Last edited by KSever on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:12 am

Re: S-102 Project

If you want to check out additional pictures. I have taken pictures of most every thing I do or problems I have encountered.

This is the Photobucket Link
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/KSever/library/International?sort=3&page=1

Hopefully the link works.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:25 am

Re: S-102 Project

tis looking good sir!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:42 am

Re: 1956 S-102 Build

I commend you on your decision to do a bottom -up . That's easy for me to say sittin' in the cheap seats but now you'll have your safe and reliable driver , especially after the can of worms you uncovered ! Awesome job and thanks for pic"s.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:43 am

Nice build thread and great pics! Looks like you're doing a high quality job.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:09 pm

What front brake rotors did you use?
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:14 pm

Buzzman72 wrote:What front brake rotors did you use?

The front brakes all came from StreetRod Manufacturing as a kit
http://tsmmfg.com/1457.html

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:07 am

Great looking progress.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:05 pm

First coat of paint on the frame and suspension. Ran out of reducer, got the wife stopping on her way home to pick up another pint. So the second coat will have to wait until tomorrow. Still have the other side of the frame to do but so far I pleased with the outcome.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:35 am

Have never painted with automotive paint before but I am learning (so far not a run). Bought this gun a few months ago and have been practicing, watching a few tutorials and a couple classes for painting with automotive paint. So far I like painting with the auto paint, it's nothing like I'm use to painting with my airless house painting gun.

Next

Return to L, R and S Build-Off