Brad's 1954 R Series Build

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Re: Brad's 1954 R Series Build

I use a Lincoln 140, 110 volt. They have different models of 140 within the Lincoln line. The difference is the more expensive models have multi variable heat. & wire setting well the cheaper model like I have just has 4 heat settings & multi viable wire speed. I have used the more expensive model and myself I don't find any advantage in the multi heat settings. You can balance the arc with the wire speed nicely. In any case I have owned mine over 4 years and I promise you I have used it more already then most ever would in a life time. I have gone thru at least 10 of the medium sized gas bottles of welding gas since I have owned it without a single glitch. I have welded everything from 22 gauge sheet to 1/4 plate with it. I have welded up air tanks, high pressure plumbing, frames, lifting eyes, wheels.... You name it I have welded it with my Lincoln and have never had a weld fail yet.

I have also worked at a few shops that ran Hobart welders and have always enjoyed using them. I have never heard a single negative thing about them and have always regarded them as one of if not the best welder on the market.

I have also owned a Clark 130 mig welder in the past, it was very good as well, I put many of trouble free hours on it.

Whatever you choose be sure you have sufficient power supply and if you use an extension cord be sure it is a heavy gauge. That can make all the difference for any welder.
1952 L 110
1953 R 160 (parts truck)
1963 Ford C-series
1982 Ram 250 Van
1989 Nissan Pulsar NX (backup/project)
1994 Town Car (daily driver)
2000 Neon (snow plow & yard vehicle)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:04 pm

good advice, i appreciate it. thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:48 pm

Yep. Been down that road too. Tried eastwood's mig welders to save a few bucks. but after 2 different machines and still having all kinds of issues I returned them and bit the bullet. I opted for the Miller auto-set 180 and I absolutely love it. You just set the dial for thickness of the metal you're working on and you are good to go. It also comes with a spool gun for aluminum. Bottom line, I guess you stay with any of the top name brands and you'll have no regrets.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:53 pm

I use a Hobart Ironman 210, love it.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:37 am

I have been using a Lincoln Power Mig 140 for body work and a Miller Thunderbolt XL 225 for a stick. I'm more a stick welder since it's what I was taught but saving my money up for a Tig. After I get moved to Az I'm planning on taking a course in welding at a local college.
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:03 am

Question: The clip, circled in the picture, what is that for? When i took the fenders off, I don't recall anything actually bolted in there. Maybe it should have been, but i know it wasn't. Do i need to build that into my new piece that i am going to make? I can i just delete that?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:01 pm

That is a blind nut. Here is a picture of something similar.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=blind+nu ... CAYQ_AUoAQ
Attachments
fender%20clip.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:29 pm

I haven't taken the fenders off mine & can't see the pic that good. I believe what you are looking for is called a "cage nut" I know similar aged Ford's use them.

http://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/image ... r2=piv-web
1952 L 110
1953 R 160 (parts truck)
1963 Ford C-series
1982 Ram 250 Van
1989 Nissan Pulsar NX (backup/project)
1994 Town Car (daily driver)
2000 Neon (snow plow & yard vehicle)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:30 pm

These are a bunch of Ford clip nuts that I have left over. I only use this style nut when it is not possible to reach inside a panel and hold the nut. The nut kit is four pieces short and only sold in premeasured amounts. I may use a few of these on our "L" build and again on a pending "R".
AU VE CO must have something
Attachments
NUT CLIPS.jpg
clip nuts
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Well, new welder purchase. I went ahead with the Hobart Handler 140. There is a nice sale going on for them this week that makes them $50 less than all the comparable welders.

After using it last night, let me say, i never ever want to weld with a crappy welder again. My spot welds were more uniform, not as highly built up. The consistency of the machine makes the welding sooooo much easier. I will never go back.

Messing with the firewall last night, the holes plugged where you cant see a weld at all after being ground...thats the new welder. The other....well that's my work with the old. Its no silver bullet, but i wish i would have gone this way from the beginning. Hopefully i will get into the garage again tonight for a couple hours after coaching my sons basketball team practice

Aftermarket A/C and heat is my plan (my brother in law deals them, so i can get a decent deal), so after filling all the holes up, eventually i will drill new ones.

Image54 IHC by isu_phi, on Flickr
Last edited by bsievers1616 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off