Brad's 1954 R Series Build

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Re: Brad's 1954 R Series Build

You should be proud. You and your helper have put in a ton of time and hard work and it paid off. Now you get to enjoy it together, Great job!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:27 pm

Brad,
The truck looks incredible! You've done an awesome job!
Congratulations! I wish you many many happy miles in the company of your little co-pilot!
This truck has been more than a restoration- As the whole forum has enjoyed the journey with you.-
Many of us, learned along the way.
Thanks for all you've done to share the progress with all of us.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Looking good. It has a good stance.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Brad,
Your truck looks amazing. Like someone previously stated, your build thread has been very inspiring. I was wondering how you determined where to put your Mustang 2 front suspension compared to the original straight axle. Just curious. I am finally starting on mine after 7yrs of collecting dust and storing junk in my garage! I took the bench seat out and started cleaning out the cab so far. I am going to start at the rear end and work forwards. This truck like yours will be a driver so I am planning on upgrading drive train to a 9in rear end with a 351 W and a 5 speed manual train. All the original drive train is going to my Uncle where I got the truck. That was our original deal. But anyways, your truck is pure inspiration!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:32 am

Brad can chime in too if he wants to, but before you remove the straight front axle, determine the centerline of the axle and scribe it vertically on the truck’s frame (right side and left side). This scribed line becomes the reference marks to begin installing the MII suspension. Be sure to follow the kit’s instructions precisely. Hopefully you purchased a kit with instructions, otherwise you’re going to be asking a lot more questions and potentially making some incorrect guesses.
One method for finding the axle centerline involves using a plumb bob after you’ve leveled the frame side-to-side. The kits instructions will tell you how much angle to lower the front of the frame, but likely 2 to 3 degrees. Dangle the plumb bob over the center of the top of the axle and move the string closer to the frame gently until the string in against the frame, insuring the point of the plumb bob is still over the center of the axle. Once the string is against the frame, carefully secure it with a freehand so that it doesn’t move and proceed to mark a line along the string with a “Sharpie”. Once you’ve done both sides of the frame, take a straight edge and a sharp punch to scratch (scribe) a straight vertical line. You don’t want the ink line to be the only reference line. A scribed line is a little harder to remove in case the ink gets “washed out”. You might even want to center punch along the line for even more permanent reference marks.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Thank you WEW51L110! I have not purchased a mustang II front suspension but will definitely take your words of wisdom to heart and save them in a word document so I am not asking again in 6 months!! Thanks again. I also wanted to Give thanks for the incredible wealth of Knowledge on this site. This is truly an amazing site to gather information and courage to start a restoration project! Thanks to all infinite wisdom that is here!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:34 pm

I am repeating what is posted elsewhere, but my MII front end kit came from Fatman Fabrications. They are the only fabricator that includes ‘37-‘61(+/-) Internationals in their listings of what’s standard from them. The company owner/developer is a mechanical engineer and has been building/improving these kits for more than 30 years. Other suppliers can gen up one for you if you request. Fatman has ‘em on the shelf. Their instructions are spot-on and if you have a question, the answer is at the end of a phone call. Sample installation videos are accessible through their website.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:12 am

agree with everything Wes wrote, find and mark the centerline using the existing axle when the frame is leveled, grab a buddy for an extra set of hands and eyes.. The FATMAN fab MII setup has good instructions....follow them. I am no master engineer by any means, and i am sure it could be a lot more precise than i got it, but seems to be working alright thus far.

I am sure an air ride setup may pose a few other challenges that i did not encounter, but follow the instructions, watch lots of youtube videos and you'll be fine.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Figured i would share this one, as me my daughter went out on a date in "her" truck. She wanted steak and ice cream, so that's what she got :)

Image2018-03-20_04-22-42 by isu_phi, on Flickr

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Sir, This right here is what it is all about in my opinion. This will be a memory for all your lives. May you have many, many more.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off