My L110 Rebuild

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:40 pm

My L110 Rebuild

Here goes my attempt at bringing a binder back to life. It's a great site like this that makes me feel that a project like this is even possible for a guy like me. Here's my before picture:

Start January 11 of 2014.JPG

I’m not going to rush through this project, my summers get pretty busy so winter is when I have more time to work on the L110 but am determined to get it back on the road someday. I am by no means an expert but am a good listener, so I’ll be looking for a lot of advice especially since this truck is determined to fight me all the way. Previous owner told me the oh so common “running a few years ago” story but I’m seeing that might have been a stretch. Here’s the catch up story. In the past few months I’ve got the truck stripped down to the frame, motor was stuck so my hope was just from sitting awhile we’ll break it loose. WRONG! Removed the head to get a look and get some oil soaking on the pistons and found a whole new problem. Cracked sleeve.

Cracked cylinder sleve 2.JPG

So out came the engine and off to the shop where it sits, they are backed up and I haven’t got the call on what the damage will be as of yet. Not a problem lots of other stuff to keep me busy! I got the frame sand blasted a week ago and managed to get a coat of primer on it the other day. Always looks good with some new paint.

Primed frame 2.JPG

Brakes were stripped I found out in the tear down process so I’ve determined it’s as good as time as any to get some disk brakes on the old girl. Talking with the guys at TSM to get a set made for the back, so hope that all goes smoothly. Here we go........

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:10 pm

Re: My L110 Rebuild

Looks like your off to a good start, keep us updated and don't hesitate to ask questions.

My L110 is still buried in snow and waiting behind a few other projects, I'm doing an engine swap and will be removing and selling off the original engine eventually. I have no idea what it's condition is like but if you are running into issues with that engine and can't locate one just keep me in mind and maybe my engine would be a better candidate for rebuilding.
1952 L 110
1953 R 160 (parts truck)
1963 Ford C-series
1982 Ram 250 Van
1989 Nissan Pulsar NX (backup/project)
1994 Town Car (daily driver)
2000 Neon (snow plow & yard vehicle)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:37 pm

you are not going to like the phone call from the engine shop. The 220/240/264 block is NOT sleeved so you will need to look for a new block.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:44 pm

At least you guys are on the same side of the Border. There are other motors out there so Do not "sink" yourself in a rebuild. You said that the cylinder has a Sleeve? I did not know that the SD had sleeves in the cylinders. If that is not normal, you might look for another Motor.
Just my uneducated thoughts

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:44 pm

If you can live with a different brand engine under the hood, please consider using a small block Chevy. I know, I know, nobody likes them, but the SBC sure works well and it fits. I do not use the SBC because I like Diesel power, in particular, Cummins, but I am more than willing to admit that Chevy is a good choice and very affordable. Don't let the mindless crowd shame you into keeping it all original with a bunch of BS. I am willing to bet that many of the NO SBC peanut gallery have nothing going on in their shops, but they sure like to hand out advice funded with your money. The cost of rebuilding an Old IHC engine will be many times as high as a new SBC crate engine. Then there is the availability of parts and getting into a more modern engine that does not leak oil and mark its place like a dog. a SBC will give much better fuel economy and reliability. If you are sitting at home and out of cash because an Old Binder engine is killing your build-up funds, think of the fun you are missing. OH, did I say that your Binder rebuilt engine will be gutless and so slow.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:23 pm

I would suggest any of the inline 6's from any of the major mfg instead of a V-8. easyer to fit, simple and lighter. All North American mfg's inline 6's were great engines, very robust and long lasting.
IHC's small 6 was made for many years, and will bolt in place makeing it the simplest to install, but Ford, Dodge, AMC and Chevy all made good 6's.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:34 pm

This truck is going to be the death of me! :bashhead: Guess we can mark that up to rookie mistake. Just looked like a sleeve in there to me but should have had a better look obviously. Back to the drawing board I guess. First thought is I'll try and find a new SD. I know of a L110 that's been sitting for 40+ years and has the extra parts i'm gonna be needing as well but have to get the guy to sell it to me first which seems easier said then done. Put out an ad and try and hunt one down would be the easiest plan I would guess. On the other hand I always planned on putting a SBC in the truck, mostly because I didn't have an engine before this one and I'm guessing its more complicated to mount then I could even imagine. decisions, decisions.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:45 pm

I agree with CB89. I saw a very interesting GM 5 cylinder engine at the recyclers, today. There are lots of Mercedes 300td engines and they pull really well and make an interesting sound. The 240 4 cylinder will work slowly and last for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles. My wife's 240D automatic went for 1.25 million kilometres without any trouble and was running OK when we sold it 12 years ago. I still see it at the grocery store now and then. One of the members on this forum used an OLDSMOBILE Quad 4 with great success. I say, make it interesting and make it run well. I would like to see a 3/53 Detroit Diesel in your truck, but not mine. These DD engines sound wonderful to almost anyone who has never suffered a long haul behind one of them or had to pay the oil bill. Anyway, even a 3/53 is way too heavy for an old pickup.
Google Cummins 4bta for sale, from time to time. We have set one of these little Cummins into our L110 and it fits and weighs less than the original lump. There was a good 4bta with a 727 automatic for sale near here and it was less than $3000. I doubt that 3 grand will fix an old lump and make it run as good as it ever did, and that is not much to look forward to.
Just for fun or fear. take a look at the 1952 L110 Shorty build that my son and I are well into.
Maybe one should look for the joy that is in the build-up. All in good time your truck will drag itself out into the sunshine and make you proud. It is yours to build and enjoy.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:05 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:you are not going to like the phone call from the engine shop. The 220/240/264 block is NOT sleeved so you will need to look for a new block.

true engine did not come from factory with sleeves, But it can be sleeved, my buddy had his BD-264 sleeved, and new pistons, not cheap, but can be done
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:11 pm

Any engine can have sleeves installed to bring it back to orignal bore IF THE BLOCK is not damaged. These are a type of dry sleeve where the block is bored oversize, then the dry sleeve pressed in place. The block must be sound for this to be done. The OP's engine has the bore damage and if you tried to sleeve it it would leak and fail. The block must be sound and tight before dry sleeves can be installed. They can not repair freeze damage.
For the type of dry liner were talking about here, they are sold by inside bore and often come in more then one thickness, but only one leinth and must be cut to leinth after they are installed. More or less a generic part, not to be confused with the type of dry liner fitted to the BLD or RD series, which are custom made for the engine and can be fitted without machineing.
Next

Return to L, R and S Build-Off