1952-L110 Shorty.

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: 1952-L110 Shorty.

My son has lost interest in this L110 build and would like to move onto the things that are of more interest to him. My daughter has often said that she would like to have an opportunity To build something like this truck. Well the opportunity just became available, to her. My daughter is a Journeyman Mechanic with her Canadian Red Seal papers.
I have a good feeling about working with my daughter. She is at ease with things mechanical and agreeable. This "L" Shorty build will be her calling card and a sign of her ability to be the best Highschool Shop teacher
The "L" will continue to have a Cummins 4bta for power ahead of a TH475 automatic and an NVG241c transfer case. The axles will be 3:54 geared DANA 44 from a 1997 Ram 1500.
The L110 is about 50% done. I have most of the pieces built or bought for this project.
Attachments
RAM 20 INCH X 8 WHEELS.jpg
RAM 20 INCH X 8 WHEELS 2.jpg
20 INCH RAM 1500
CAB WITH TWIN WINDOWS.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:52 pm

Kinda wondered if it might not end up that direction. Perhaps she can help you with the Orville cab truck when this one is done?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:30 am

I do look forward to updates. It's a cool build that should find it's way back to a state of "making progress"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:55 am

I feel good about this change. I cannot say any more than that. I should post progress when it happens.
One of the changes to this build may be changing out the TH475 for an NVG4500. My daughter prefers a standard. One of the bonus features of the NVG4500 is the overdrive fifth gear. http://www.dieselhub.com/trans/nv4500.html I often see this transmission on Craigslist. The 4500 is a direct transplant fit to a Cummins 4bta from a Cummins Ram application.
I built a rotisserie for my Ford and I will press it back into service on the IHC projects. I cannot wrestle heavy things like I used to, so having a rotisserie fixture will make these builds easier. The Orrville crewcab is heavier that a standard cab. This extra weight has taken the Orrville into the too heavy to handle alone. The rotisserie will make metal cleaning and possibly painting easier.
Unlike my R120 from years ago, I will not be doing any painting here. New local rules and "new neighbours".
I had the rotisserie in dry storage but it got pushed outside to a semi-covered place. . The hydraulic lifts are both destroyed and will need to be replaced. I may be able to substitute auto recycler scissor jacks. Ford F250 scissor jacks are a good choice, for me.
I have been shopping around for an AMERICAN AUTO WIRE harness kit for the next IHC project. If I can get a better price by buying two harness kits and the price is tempting, it will happen.
After the painful experience with Painless Performance harness corrosion under the insulation I am never again going to use their product. Customer service was anything but service. The customer service PITA told me that they source all their wire from American suppliers. The PITA suggested that their suppliers may be sourcing their wire and crimps from (C) outside of the USA. I wasted over 100 hours in repairs to the PP harness. I should have cut it out, threw it out and replaced it with AMERICAN AUTOWIRE. If I continue to have problems with the wiring in the Ford, the Painless harness will be replaced. Green copper wire is not a good conductor.
I appreciate the nearly 20,000 views of this build.
Attachments
JEEP.jpg
DAUGHTER MECHANIC (posed picture)
rotisserie drive (aka front).jpg
ROTISSERIE

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:16 pm

Nikki- I'm so glad to hear that your daughter is interested in helping with the Shorty- I wish I was 1500 miles closer. Hopefully her involvement will be the impetus to complete this truck and your crew cab. I read this thread today from start to finish- like a great novel, I just couldn't put it down, to the dismay of the many projects of my own, including the '73 Loadstar that brought me here. Ironic. Thank you for the great work, and even better documentation.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:27 pm

I was quite pleased with the EZ Wiring harness

https://www.ezwiring.com/product-page/e ... ng-harness

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:37 pm

I thank you for sharing your experience. This is good information and an option others should consider.
I have ordered two American Auto Wire , Highway 22 harnesses. Yes, I got a little consideration for buying two. (Discount)
I'm out in the shop this afternoon watching Abom79 on You Tube. . The inside temperature is 31c. (87.4F)
While rummaging around I discovered a long forgotten vice. I put a little Harley orange on the vice a decade ago.
Attachments
VICE_2[1].jpg
VICE_1[1].jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:28 pm

I have not forgotten about our "L" and neither has my daughter. She wants an original IHC turquoise and cream two-tone paint job.
I am still gathering the bits and pieces that, together, will make a running 4X4 Diesel Binder.
https://youtu.be/piPq01w1YHo
https://youtu.be/87WuczmOI6s
Attachments
toy IHC turq and cream.jpg
Jim Hayes Binder.jpg
My friend's "L"
CUMMINS 4BTA REBUILT.jpg
4bta refreshed and ready to go

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Nikki,
Is the turquoise and white Tru-Scale S series truck one you own? I turned down the opportunity to buy one of those a couple years ago, because of the price. I would still like to have one, but may not get the same offer again. Those are the original colors of my truck as well.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:02 pm

Sadly, this is not my IHC toy truck. I know my friend Jim has this model. He is a buy and sell toy guy. He sold his mint and boxed Dinky Toy collection, with spares, for just over a million dollars. If I have not bought that toy from him, the price was too high for me to justify it.
I have lots of other diecast IHC trucks. I will try and find the files and post some pictures. My wife wants to go shopping and I have to drive her, in 10 minutes. TTYL
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off