1952-L110 Shorty.

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Re: 1952-L110 Shorty.

Binder replicas. There are more pictures, but I have to locate the files.
Attachments
PROMOTIONAL IH 2.jpg
54 IHC pickup.jpg
IHC 47 oickup.jpg
MODEL OF R AND MOOSE.jpg
IHC TOYS.jpg
briggs metro.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:58 pm

I have decided on the paint for this truck. I will not be spending over $20,000 like I did on my Ford. I think an original look for an old IHC paint is a good shine and not much depth. I can do this in my shop with Tremclad or Rustoleum.
Both of these paints are sold locally and in gallons.
My build fever was renewed again, yesterday after reading captain bob's reminiscing.
I was sorting shelves of misc. metals into a 6 Drawer LISTA cabinet. This cleared a much larger space than that taken by the LISTA
I rolled out a few extra toolbox end cabinets and boxes and readied them for Craigslist. I need the space.
As I was moving stuff out, I came face to face with two Cummins engines. One is a 24 valve and the other is a 4bta. I had all but forgotten about them being there. Another find is a set of 4X4 Dana axles from a 1997 Ram 1500. I found a large ex-military steel box. It was filled with dozens of pieces I had made for this "L" project. I do not remember about 50%. I am thinking I might have been having a good time before my personal "temporary power failure."
A bunch of shxx went to garbage and another lot of metal is ready to go to recycling at the city transfer station.
This truck build-off has gone through a few Dad and kid build changes. The kids grow up and get busy, their interests change and they move on with their lives. The one constant is me. I has been difficult to get anyone to admit they have lost interest. I got it, now and I am OK with the changes.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:43 am

what color you going with?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:21 pm

When I let my mind off leash, I am not so sure. I like the older look of cream and turquoise. While I appreciate a modern color change paint with a deep finish look. My friend says I should stay away from red unless I want to hang a ladder and some hoses on the truck.
Tremclad and Rustoleum paints have a harder addive available. I will likely not use yellow so I can keep peace.
I will have to take another look at the paint options. I don't think I will be mixing colors.
Why are frames mostly black? I am liking the idea of a grey frame, maybe.
I really want an OEM look.
I was just notified that "she" now likes yellow. She also suggested that I buy and adapt a mannequin or inflatable companion to the runningboard. Years ago, I had an inflatable companion seat belted in the passenger side of my R120. The police pulled me over and asked, "Why." I said I keep it there so I can use the HIV travel lanes. After a lecture on the HOV lane use rules I was sent on my way.
Attachments
GREAT PUMPKINS.jpg
the reason for runningboards
yellow L 110.jpg
better with grey runningboards
toy IHC turq and cream.jpg
promotional toy IHC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:25 pm

To continue the story of the "inflatable companion", it was a bright and sunny day on the South Coast. the pressure in the blow-up-doll must have been increasing. Very suddenly and without warning the blow-me-up tube popped out and made a farting noise as the plastic blow-up started to deflate. Almost as if it were trained, the doll slowly leaned over and it's head fell into my lap. There was one last gasp and it was over.
A lady friend works at a local grocery store. She asked for the inflatable companion. She dressed it in a check-out persons uniform and taped it to not in service checkout till. They all had a good laugh when persons with less than 20-20 vision complained about the poor service at that till. The blow-up was transplanted to the manager's office and set in his chair. It was about that time Vinyl Valery disappeared.
A very heavy friend of mine said he was given a Vinyl Valery on his b'day. He said she made afarting noise and flew out his open bedroom window like a party balloon. He said, "I instinctively said "Sorry".

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 18, 2020 2:28 pm

Look at what I found. I was rummaging through my drawers and I found these mirrors. I have three sets of two, now. I had totally forgotten about this set. They were hidden behind my socks in my tall-boy dresser.
The mirrors have IH on them and inside they have livery from THE YANKEE METAL PRODUCTS CORPORATION of Norwalk, Conn. This set was laying on the floor of a second-hand shop in Langley, BC. My friend paid $10 for them and gave them to me.
What do I intend to do with them? If and when I ever finish this L110 build, these mirrors will go on the doors. The mirror is 5 inches (13cm) in diameter. I will be changing one of the mirrors to convex. One of the mirror glass, on another set is broken and a good candidate.
Attachments
IH YANKEE MIRRORS 2.jpg
IH YANKEE MIRRORS 1.jpg
YANKEE IHC 2.jpg
IH mirror
YANKEE IH.jpg
IH YANKEE MIRROR

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:16 pm

I would like to find and buy one of these IHC "K" Series mechanical tachometers. I have several of the newer L&R style as in the video.
https://youtu.be/87WuczmOI6s
Attachments
IHC K SERIES TACHOMETER.jpg
K series mechanical tachometer

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:55 am

I see that one on ebay here's another on epay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-INTERN ... SwHQVfSr4M

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:47 pm

The ones for the RED show up every so often, I have my eye out for the medium truck six one, with the higher redline and markings. I have one from 50's truck but it would be nice to find one from a K series.
Both my K's have the tach drive distributor.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:58 pm

I saw both of those tachometers on eBay. I was hoping to buy that tachometer for less than what is being asked for those. I will pay up if I have to.
At the moment getting things like this into Canada from the USA has a few covid19 added issues. I can wait.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off