1952-L110 Shorty.

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Re: 1952-L110 Shorty.

This is what my R120 looked like just after it was finished. The picture was taken around 1992. The fender came with an arm. It may have been some sort of land change signal, so I left it alone.
the bumper paint is Ford Argent.
I bought a Jeep J20 for $200, all I wanted was the WARN winch. A local Jeep wrecker towed the J20 to his shop, took the winch off, for me, and gave me $500 for his trouble. He sold the J20 for a grand. The buyer spent another $1500 for used parts to repair his J20. Life is grand, a couple hundred at a time.
Attachments
R120 and me.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:06 pm

My son's L110 Shorty has a box with a wood deck. We had thought of putting an access door into the deck for the sender for the rear fuel tank. What we decided to do was either cut down stainless steel hinges and TIG weld the pivoting parts to the stainless steel bed strips. Another idea was possibly using a concealed hinge mounted to the underside of the access door and installing horizontal pressurised hydraulic lift assists, maybe. Another idea that we are considering is repurposing a fuel filler lid to the deck. The fuel filler lid on my Dodge Ram, like many other trucks, has an over-centre spring that holds the lid open or closed.
We will be using repurposed seatbelt latch components to lock the tailgate. The tailgate catch and hold cables will be from a modern pickup. https://www.google.ca/search?q=pickup+t ... ate+cables
Attachments
seatbelt latch for tailgate.jpg
repurposed seatbelt latch
TRUNK HINGES with lift.jpg
best used with a bigger access panel.
concealed hinge.jpg
stainless steel hidden hinge ready for modification
concealed hinge.jpg (8.53 KiB) Viewed 5717 times

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:40 am

nice, that seatbelt latch is slick. what is mounting the latch to the bedside? weld it?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:04 am

The decorative cover on the seatbelt latch is removable. Be very careful. Socket head button 10/32 fasteners should be able To be installed from the inside of the latch. Maybe 10/32 riv-nuts can be installed in the box side. The limitations of the access to where to put the screws will be determined by the box and the latch style. .
Seatbelt componens are often free at Auto wreckers. They don't want the liability that goes with failure of a complete assembly. Check it out for yourself.
Google may find more information.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:12 pm

the OEM IHC tailgates have a hook on each top corner. The hook helps to stabilize the sides of the box and reduce side wall vibration. The tailgate hooks also held the box together when the box was loaded with loose material, like grain. Many truck boxes suffered cracking where the back sidewall attached to the bed. I have had 14 L&R and more than half had this cracking.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:52 pm

I mentioned that a bunch of R pickup sheetmetal found me. This was a few weeks ago. Since I/we have not started the build-up of the Orrville crewcab yet, I thought this might be a good place to park some pieces of interesting IHC parts information.
My son and I brought all of our IHC sheetmetal home yesterday. BTW, the grill looks really good. NO RUSTING ANYWHERE.
While I/we were there, I had a look around for anything IHC that might be for sale.
I will need to buy and modify a recycled motorhome frame or build a frame from square steel tube, so I am always on the look-out for options. In an adjoining field there was/is a nearly perfect IHC R150 frame, only a few meters away from where we picked up the R120 front sheetmetal. The frame is 246.5 inches long, has the right shape, the frame is flat and precisely what I need for my IHC Orrville Metal Specialty four door crewcab and an 8 foot box.
This frame is much thicker and better cross braced than the pickup frames. Since I am looking for frame stability, this is just right. The frame has 35,000 country miles on it. Most of the OEM paint is still on the frame and it looks in really good shape, to me. There are no club-fisted junk pieces welded to the frame and I did not see any cracking and bird shyte weld repairs.
The seller's asking price was much too low, . After some discussion including a few "F" bombs, he accepted my higher offer and the deal was done. I left a deposit and we agreed to three times his asking price and delivery. Life is good.
The weather at the top of The Highway Through Hell was beautiful sunshine. The sky was blue with a few fluffy clouds and the temperature was about 10 Celsius.
I had to use four wheel drive to get out of the field because of the melting snow and semi-frozen mud. About half way home, snow and rain turned Highway 5 into a non stop blinding spray of dirty shush
By the time we completed our round trip the Ram 2500 was totally covered in salt road spray. A $19 trip through the new Gilley Street Car Wash and the truck was looking good, again.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:14 pm

Sounds like a positive move for the future project. I suspected that a 150 series frame might be about right for a 6 cylinder diesel. The 110-130 front frame doesn't look heavy enough to me for a 1300 pound engine.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:25 pm

Yep, stupidest thing I did was let a fellow talk me into scrapping the L150 frame I had. Mind was not working and thinking ahead to what I wanted to do with the L112. Oh well, perhaps I will find another one locally. I can find some motorhomes down here for under $800 running, does not matter the interior. Looking forward to both of your builds, the shorty and the Orrville.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:39 am

I am also looking forward to these events. I must have only one ongoing project at one time because of space and that blue lump is in that space. This has not stopped me from gathering a few bits and pieces when they become available .
I need to move to the country where I can have some more space for a bigger garage. I like Merritt, BC. No traffic and realestate prices of decades ago.
The roads are covered with salt brine and some early morning dampness. The TV weather suggested a small possibility of snow flurries so the municipal road works go full on due diligence.
Most of the real-estate stands on end because we live on the side of the Coastal Mountain Range , so traction is important.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:40 pm

I Like Merritt, and if you moved there, it would give me two Friends to Visit! Besides, I think I may have a trailer to pick up one of these days. You might have seen it?
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off