1952-L110 Shorty.

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:14 am

1952-L110 Shorty.

Today, my son and I started the mock-up of the truck that will be his when it is finished. Tomorrow, we are going to set a Cummins 4bta with an automatic and transfer case in place to check for location and clearance. Over the weekend, we hope to place the Dana 44 Axles in place for a better look at the balance of the dance of parts and pieces.
Monday will see the original springs in a spring shop to see if they are rebuild able. If we need new springs, we will have to consider air springs as an option to new leaf springs.
This is a most exciting time and only made better by sharing it with my son.
In the 1950's, my Dad and I built a 6 foot long cab over Briggs and Stratton dump truck that rolled on wheel barrow wheels and tires. It is all good.
Pictures to follow if I can figure out the silly system.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:42 am

Re: 1952-L110 Shorty.

I can "ditto" those sentiments about doing something with your son. My son's involvement in my truck, albeit small in amount, is big to me. I'm sure my dad was just as proud of my work with him except for the one time I fried all of the wiring under the hood of his car. We were working on something that required the movement of the alternator. I can now say that I know how important it is to disconnect the battery before attempting any work under the hood. I loosened the bolts securing the alternator, but it was stuck tight to the support bracket. When I levered it loose, it slid all the way to the end of the bracket and shorted out some wiring and fried several wires in the process. All that extra work I created because I didn't disconnect the battery! I'll bet he was real proud of me that day. It was one of those moments when you wish with all of your might you could do a rewind on time and erase the incident. A valuable lesson learned.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:56 pm

All right! Looking forward to seeing the Cummins install.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:03 pm

IMG-20110602-00152.jpg
We located the axles today and set them on axel stands. I'm off to the spring shop tomorrow to check our options. My son wants air springs. We may keep some of the leaf springs to locate the axles.
The 4bta gets set in place on the weekend.
Attachments
Fresh out of thhe shower.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:53 pm

We get the modified IHC springs back from the spring shop on Monday. Today, I am converting the front Dana 44 axle to spring over from spring under. Since we have a well equipped shop, the conversion will be done by my son and me. The Cummins 4bta install may have to wait for an extra day.
I have not been able to get pictures to post on this forum without using Photobucket. Photobucket has decided that they are not going to be compatible with Windows 8.1 and dumped my library into the unknown.
I would be pleased to have a step by step explanation.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:31 pm

if they reside on your computer, I can do that. I am NOT familiar with windows 8 tho.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:35 am

Axel conversion going well. The front spring frame mounts are being rebuilt and made wider. I picked up the double convoluted air springs yesterday, they were on sale for $93 each. Today, we ream to size the holes for the spring to frame brackets. The leaf springs were not ready yesterday. We will still make the conversion kit for the front axle spring mounting. My son took this week off so we can get more done.
Attachments
IMG_20140319_154633.jpg
air spring
IMG_20140302_121454.jpg
On Sale
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:07 am

MILLING OFF THE OLD.jpg
CAB AND BOX - Copy.jpg
Part of 9 truck loads of L&R parts from a storage unit we bought

This cab and box are form a storage unit that my son and I bought. We hauled 9 truck loads of L&R parts to our place.
DANA 44 MOCK-UP.jpg

The front axle was hung in place for a few minutes for a "look-see". The front Dana 44 is on the bench and it being modified for spring over the axle. The front spring frame mounts have been modified to accept the extra width required by the axle design.
More pictures tomorrow, now that I have figured it out. ( with help from Lloyd)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:31 am

PERCH 2.jpg
PERCH 1 - Copy.jpg
Just a few more pictures.

All of the front spring to frame mounts have been modified and made better. All of the hardware is grade 8 with hardened washers and stover nuts. At the final assembly all of the fasteners will be torqued to specification. We are hoping to place the Cummins 4bta set into the frame late tomorrow. We had a local fabrication shop build a bracket/frame strengthener and power steering mount and should be mocked up tomorrow.
Yes, the frame will be cleaned and painted before the final assembly. Did I mention that this frame is in very good condition and there are no cracks. We will be building a few custom cross-members, one will be the transmission mount. Right now, it looks like we will be able to do a modification to the original rear engine mount and use it as the transmission mount. The mount will be moved more to the rear and be designed to drop out from below for future transmission service. Also on the list of this week's "to do" is the mounts for the TRANSGO oil cooler. The fan on the cooler came from the BMW recycler ad it was $20. This fan is very quiet and really kicks out a breeze.
Attachments
IMG_00000173.jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:43 pm

[/attachment]
IMG_20140306_195616.jpg
I think it looks really good. It fits as well as the engine that came out.
Attachments
IMG_20140306_195543.jpg
first fitting and there is lots of room. the engine will be moved back another 4 inches and lowered about 2 inches.
IMG_20140306_195531.jpg
We're using this L160 cab for set-up because it is here. We have a rust free cab in storage
Next

Return to L, R and S Build-Off