Project 51 L 110

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Re: Project 51 L 110

I love hearing/reading stories of how trucks are acquired and the build history. Great history. The custom shop did a fantastic job. 8 months seems pretty quick. Some luxury German Seats add some extra class to an already very classy truck. I don't know how you guys keep all the parts after all those years and the moves. I seem to loose things in just a weeks time. Did you end up selling the stock engine? Rusty and patina trucks look cool...but so does a nice shiny paint job. These trucks look good in all body conditions.

My truck is black and I was thinking of black again...but you got me thinking of other color options again. I had though of leaving the dents and rough edges on my truck to give it character but having the body panels float sanded and things looking crisp as yours does is something I have to consider.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 06, 2014 3:10 pm

When I left the truck in Tenn., my friend was supposed to swap out the original engine for a '66 Chevy inline 6 w/ 3-speed tranny. The original one had become so anemic, it barely would pull it's self out of the driveway. It almost didn't make it to his house. The truck sat in one of his garages/storage sheds those five years and when I contacted him to let him know I would be coming after it, he found the time to do the swap, although not to my original instruction. He was given the engine and I suppose it went to engine heaven.

Paint. Black was the original color and I wanted to make it black again. Almost everyone tried to talk me out of it - "it's too hot, it shows dirt too easily, it shows scratches, etc." - until my youngest son said, "Black's not a color, it's a commitment." He had been showing his black Civic in shows and finally I gave in. This being Florida, all of those reasons were valid. Patina wasn't an option if it was going to stay at our house (per wife). I did want to give it a color that was offered in '51. I had seen a few trucks with the original grey offered - Chesapeake Grey - and thought it's not a color seen often and is pleasant and not the typical red, black, yellow or blue. By the time we got though looking at color samples, this is what I came up with - Light Slate - and it's close to the '51 offering I think. The mixture is basically white and black with a dash of blue and is a 2 stage application.

Straight body or character marks is a personal choice. Shiny new paint doesn't look good over character marks. Shiny new paint looks really good over a straight body and I'm pleased with how the body work turned out. My paint and body guy has been doing this for close to 40 years and he's learned a few things during that time! International isn't known for building concourse vehicles. My body guy says he put more filler into this truck than anything else he's done. I have a friend who is a judge at AACA shows and he likes how the paint and body turned out. If you can please a concourse judge, it must be good. Bear in mind that character marks are free and shiny paint and straight body have a high price.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 07, 2014 10:54 am

High price body and paint is something I know all about. In 1961, my brother and I bought and finished a 1939 Ford for $1000. The paint and body was $200. In 1991, I did the paint and body on our R120 for $1750. The total truck cost was $26k. Our 1940 Ford is now coming home after many hours of careful massaging and paint that has eaten up more than $20,000 and pushing the build total to over $90k. Our 1952 shorty build is into five digits and this does not include any labor estimate.
This hobby is not for the faint of heart, now. I figured that I would run out of savings just when I run out of time and the last dollar would buy the nail for my coffin. Lol.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Your arm rests don't look factory.....are they aftermarket? I like the look of them. I need to get arm rests for my truck.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:27 pm

They are for a '66, '67 Chevy II. You can get them from any of the catalogs for Chevy restoration: Classic Chevy, Year One, etc. My upholsterer covered them in matching leather when he did the interior. I had a '66 Chevy II once upon a time, and was eyeballing them then for possible use in my truck. Years later, that's what I chose.
That brings up an interesting point. You don't have to match what I did. There are dozens of styles and types available. You just have to be willing to look at the catalogs for reproduction work and choose the one that suits you. Even looking around at car shows can be helpful to decide what you like. Just be conscious of the way they mount and whether the surface they mount to is flat or has some curvature. (I think I'd stay away from the really big (long) ones, too.) Our IH doors are flat and unless you want to change that somehow, I'd stick to ones that mount to flat surfaces. If you really want to get fancy, there are molded shapes available that can be incorporated into upholstery, if you are going the full upholstery route.
Attachments
DSC06043x.jpg
DSC06044x.jpg
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Those armrests are a great choice.
I like having something to pull the door closed and using the latch handle is not something I like to see used. The handle and bell-crank get to be loose.
For those who do not want a full armrest, check your local BMW recycler for really nice door pulls. They are about a buck each and the older 700 series have four.
I have possibly two sets of original IHC L and R arm rest sets. After I bought several sets of armrests for our other, non IHC project from Smart Parts, I was thinking, I am the original junk-yard-dog and why didn't I go with recycled parts or at least have a look.
http://www.smart-parts.ca/fiberglass_armrests-id-1.html
The set I decided to use is SP3052 in the front only. Originally I wanted to use SP 3054 in the rear, but there is so little side to side room, no rests will be used.
On our IH stuff, I like to use original latch handles. On the other project, I went with Billet Specialties black anodised handles, but I did think of using the MADE IN USA PETERSON VISEGRIP handle like you have. I think it looks good.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:08 pm

nikkinutshop said: On our IH stuff, I like to use original latch handles. On the other project, I went with Billet Specialties black anodised handles, but I did think of using the MADE IN USA PETERSON VISEGRIP handle like you have. I think it looks good.

This from a fellow who has HOW many Vise Grips? :jester:

By the way, I do like the looks of the arm rests, goes well with the interior.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:27 pm

My son has suggested, that there might be 200, but I feel more comfortable with 146 pair plus a strange looking set I got from a guy in IDAHO. I had 80 +/- hammers but I gave a bunch away and there might be 40 or so left.
Attachments
VISEGRIP FROM LLOYD.jpg
CUT AND CLAMP
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Swiss Army Vice Grip....Cool

I don't need an arm rest per say...but the pull is what I want, as Nikkiinutshop noted...not using the door handle to pull door shut. I'll check out the junk yards....great Idea. I still think what you got is very classy to your ride.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Suddenly, I want to try and find my OEM IHC armrests. I found the clips that secure them to the doors, but.................. I will try and post pictures of the IHC units and the BMW pulls, as soon as I locate them. I am getting so forgetful and I should be able to hide my own Easter Eggs next year.
My young nephew from Saskatchewan had to ask, Uncle Nikkinutshop, do you wear boxers or briefs?" After a few seconds of thinking about it, I responded, Depends."
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off