'55 R-122 rehab

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:06 am

Re: '55 R-122 rehab

IMG_8928.JPG
Gauge panel- head on

IMG_8929.JPG
Gauge panel-from above

IMG_8931.JPG
Gauge panel- in place

Seemed high time I made some progress on my R. This past Fri night I created this gauge panel from 18 ga steel. My plan is to eventually install a modern HVAC system. When I do I wanted dash vents. These old Mercedes vents looked *right* to me. The final gauge package will include water temp/vac/oil pressure/clock (also vintage Merc). The idiot light is likely going to be wired for low oil pressure. I used a bead roller to create the detail at the edge and sheet metal brakes (fixed and pan) to fold the sides. A shrinker/stretcher created the curve to match the dash.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:18 pm

Looks like you’ve spent considerable time and effort to make that nice panel. Are you planning on using the cowl vent anymore? On my truck, if I had placed that panel as it looks like you are planning, I wouldn’t have access to the handle that is pushed to open the cowl vent. Your truck, being a ‘55, might have a different position or way to open the vent that I’m not familiar with. When the under dash AC equipment went in, the handle I’m referring to is just touching the AC housing and it is more difficult now to grab the handle to push open or pull closed. It’s been awhile since I read the earlier entries of this thread, so if you’ve already addressed this issue, please ignore these comments.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:25 pm

My friend mounted the extra gauges in the panel above the windshield for a more factory look.
I appreciate the time and effort to make the auxiliary dashboard, but I think it looks out of place.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:06 pm

The only one he has to please is himself, I like the craftmanship. My long legs keep me from having gauges below the dash. There is good cause not to cut an original cab, at least his method can be reversed, and at best it works for him, so I'm all for it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:27 pm

CB890 your comment is lame and so overused. Everyone knows the bottom line is, "what fits with the owner". That comment from you after your hard line on 6 volts versus 12 volts and electric fuel pump versus manual pumps, puts you in the place you suggest I should not be.
If you were familiar with the "L" and later cab. you would know there are easily removed and replaced panels above the windshield. The panels cover an open space where there is enough room for gauges. When a person puts something out there on a forum there is a chance someone might have something to say about it. I know this better than some others. I have taken the constructive criticism and made changes a few times. In the end, as it should go without mentioning, I did it my way.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:35 pm

I have always advocated for not making changes that can not be reversed, for not damaging original parts, or causing something to be unsafe. When solid state 12 to 6 volt converters came out, I dropped my objection to 12 volt conversion. Prior to the convertors becoming available, the risk to old gauges and sending units was real, and the supply of replacements is low. While I think conversion unnecessary, I don't object to other making them. I don't want to get into a yelling match, I think the craftsmanship of his panel is very good.
Electric fuel pumps can be done well or poorly, done well will cost more than fixing the mechanical pump, and if your only objective to solve that problem, then it makes more sense to repair the mechanical.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:23 pm

Thank you all for the compliments and critiques. I hadn’t even considered that the over windshield panel might be deep enough for gauges. I will investigate that as as was mentioned the vent handle is a little more obscured as is the tray that made from the tractor radio cover. My designs are always subject to change. Especially as more things are added to the mix. If the panel stays I have pondered adding a power motor to the vent (thanks to Nikki) and installing a radio in the factory spot and converting the tractor radio housing to a cubby of sorts.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:37 pm

I made a power vent drive by re-purposing a BMW power headrest drive. The switch is an on-off-on from American Autowire. The drive motor is mounted remotely and the drive is about .500" thick. The linkage is an aluminium rod and two Heim-joints. I ordered and paid for a cowl vent poser motor from Watson's Street Works. Everything I purchased from Watson's was super high quality, but this CV drive was total crap. If I did not recycle it, I may have added it to the box of shame.
I found a few BMW headrest drives on eBay. They were around $20.
You do nice work.
Attachments
COWL VENT DRIVE 2.jpg
COWL VENT POWER DRIVE.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:26 pm

Thank you Sir. I appreciate seeing your well thought out and executed work.

I’m thinking that the air vent could be plumbed as a “fresh air” feed for the modern HVAC. An actuator of some sort would be attached to it. Likely and “all or not” situation. Something akin to an aftermarket door lock actuator.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:28 pm

If this can be done you may be the best man for the job.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off