'55 R-122 rehab

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 am

Re: '55 R-122 rehab

Just to rule out the possibility of an air bubble hiding in the MC I pulled the MC and bench bled it with 2 hoses returned to the res. I got a few small bubbles but I suspect they were from pulling the MC and setting it up on the bench. After reinstalling the MC and bleeding the brakes again there is still no change. Today I am going to create a new brake line for the front circuit from the MC to the Tee for the light switch. I'm hoping that the residual pressure valve is wreaking havoc on the "quick take up" master cylinder. Time will tell. Parking brake cable should be here Monday. Looking forward to getting that sorted out.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:54 am

Yesterday I built the bracket and connector to attach the new ford P-brakes to the old IH cable. Not the prettiest work but by golly it'll hold up.
The collar in the bracket is step bored to create a seat for the 1/2" dia cable sleeve to stop against. An 8/32 set screw ensures the cable sleeve will stay put. I turned the end of the collar to 5/8" and drilled the same size hole in the angle iron to locate the collar in the angle. Burned in with the tig and it's not going anywhere. The large nut was welded to the adapter body so I could use a wrench to aid in adjustment.

The other day I removed the 2 psi check valve from the front brake circuit and bled another quart of fluid through the system. The pedal actually starts out lower now than it did before. I'm convinced that the take up valve in the MC is faulty. I've ordered another MC under warranty. I'm hoping to have that in later this week. Once the brakes are fully sorted and I get a new speedo adapter ( my current unit isn't geared right for the new R+P) it'll be time to turn my attention to the fuel injection system.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:28 am

In my opinion, Nice Work!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Thank you sir.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:39 am

I swapped the MC out a few days ago. The pedal is at a consistent height now and after fiddling with the pushrod length I believe I have found a happy compromise. While not correct (there is no "free play" at the top
of the pedal stroke) the pedal is firm at about 50% travel. The brakes feel "good" with minimal pedal effort. I will find an empty safe place to "test" them. I'm concerned that the rear brakes are doing the bulk of the work due to lack of piston stroke in the MC (pedal ratio likely doesn't match from toy to IH). Pending more testing/research I may swap the 51mm (x4) piston calipers for the 46mm (x4) piston calipers. While the pedal effort will increase by virtue of the small pistons, maintaining the same actuating piston dia in the MC should generate more piston travel with the smaller dia piston calipers. The truck stops quite well now, but I don't want it "swapping ends" foul weather under hard braking.

I'm taking my modified fuel tank in today to have it dipped and lined. Hoping to start wiring/plumbing the Fuel infection system into the truck in the next few weeks.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:08 am

Last weekend I finally arrived at a good stopping point on my BMW project. I have turned my attention back to my IH projects for a while. When I acquired my Bridgeport mill it came with a large slab of 3/4" aluminum. My plan is to stack 2 chunks of that slab to make a reasonably smooth adapter from the 2bbl TBI unit to the 1bbl manifold. Here is the lower half of the adapter roughed in.

The fuel tank that I modified previously came back from the shop dipped, leaded, and lined.

I've modified a Delco ign. distributor for use with EFI. The mechanical advance is locked out and I've replaced the points with pick-up coil from a Mopar and a reluctor ring from a 6cyl Ford. I have the OEM GM wiring harness stripped down to the essentials. I've left it all factory length as I intend to use the GM bulkhead connector and I don't know where I will mount the ECU. I still need to acquire a VSS from Jags that Run and I need a chip burned for the ECU tailored to the SD240. I'm hoping to have the TBI adapter finished on Thurs and have the wiring and fuel lines sorted this weekend.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Could you post some pic's of the distributor mod's? I often thought about doing something similar for an electronic ign.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:55 am

In a nutshell I used a limiter bushing from Chevy dist recurving kit to lockout the mech adv. (I staked it in place). The lobe circle has to be machined to size for the Ford reluctor wheel. The pickup coil plate is mounted to breaker plate. Only after you have chosen the position for the coil can you set the reluctor as it needs to be “timed” with the cap/rotor/coil positions. It’s easiest to cut a hole in the side of a dist cap to verify alignment. After that Bobs your Uncle! I’ll post pics and P/Ns this weekend.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:27 pm

Ended up working on a Dixon ZTR for a while today so I didn't get as far as I'd hoped, but here's an update regardless.

I decided that I would use 6 M6 bolts to secure the two halves of the adapter together. After laying the locations out on both halves I proceeded to drill the holes in the lower part first using the mill (way more stable than my benchtop drill press). Once the lower unit was drilled I clamped it to the upper and drilled the same size holes in the upper part. I opened the holes in the upper to 1/4" and counter bored them 5/16" to ensure the bolts would not foul the TBI unit.

I then assembled everything just to check for fit. I think I'm going to make some bushings and drill the lower part and the manifold for 2 more bolts. I feel like a bit of extra support wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm still getting to know my Bridgeport. After monkeying around milling straight down into the adapter I remembered that I can tilt the head... Duhhhhhh! After I smartened up and canted the head things got much easier. This is just roughed in and the hole mating to the manifold will be opened up some more (didn't have the correct sized hole saw) so the rough edge will be cleaned up and perfectly acceptable.

I'll finish cleaning up the adapter with burs and sanding attachments over the next few days. I need to get to the local bicycle shop to pick up a brake cable to fab up my new throttle control.

All in all a good day.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Adapter is done

Pump and sending unit are fitted in the tank and the tank and lines are run up to the engine bay.

The distributor mods are complete. I used body # 1112355. As I mentioned previously I used a timing bushing from a chevy kit and staked it in place to lock out the dist. The cap (DR 428) and rotor (DR308) are meant for a later engine ( BD or BG don't recall). The cap fit very tightly on the body. I opened the top of the body up .010". In retrospect I would have been happier with about 7-8 thou. It's a touch loose now. The pick up coil that I used is for a mopar (8A3) and the reluctor is for a ford (1A4003). The reluctor requires the upper shaft to be reduced in dia. for the reluctor to fit. It is a tight fit, but I will loctite it in place once I confirm the orientation is correct. I chose the location of the coil specifically because it interfered the least with tabs on the inside of the cap. I trimmed the potting on the coil as I figured I didn't want to have to remember to modify every cap that I put on the truck. I placed a 3mm x .50 screw in the coil plate pivot hole and a 4mm x .70 screw with a wide head in the adjustment slot.

The blue square on the side of the dist. is the location of the #1 cylinder tab in the cap. The cardboard represents the tab on the rotor. The GM TBI system wants the Rotor to be just leaving the tab in the cap when the reluctor is lined up with the pick-up coil.

Tomorrow I'll be working on wiring provided it doesn't rain. I also need to get started on my new throttle control. I'm thinking a bell crank on bearing pivot mounted to the firewall with a bicycle brake cable connecting the bell crank to the arm on the throttle body.

Waiting on the VSS to arrive and I need to get a chip ordered as well.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off