'55 R-122 rehab

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:17 am

Re: '55 R-122 rehab

Ralph Goff wrote:Interesting to see that this SD240 has the three bolt outlet on the exhaust manifold. My BD 240 had a three bolt outlet. I have two BD 264s and one had the three bolt outlet, the other had two bolt.

I've wondered about this manifold. I know very little about these trucks but to date I've not seen any reference to a 3 bolt manifold. This manifold was actually on the early 50's SD220 that also came with the truck. What it came off is currently unknown to me. Perhaps it was replaced somewhere earlier in it's life? I'll see if I can get a p/n off it when after my wife and I get back from our trip this weekend.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:54 pm

I managed to get a few more things done today. I finished the rebuild of the starter motor. I still want to find a new set of brushes, a boot for the bendix solenoid, and I still need to clean up/install the dust strap. Otherwise the starter seems to spin up quite well. I'll give it the "acid test" next time home.

I cranked out a new phenolic spacer using a drill press, a drill bit, a holesaw, and a flap wheel on an angle grinder. Looks good and matches up well.

I also got the rad frame cleaned and POR15'd.
Slow and steady...
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:28 am

Need the PN for brushes?

811553 DR <obsolete>
1906945 Remy <active>
Both cross to;
RX-60 Standard Motor Products (SMP)

Here's a link for the parts book in case you need the springs etc. I Googled them too,they're obsolete but available. 8-)
http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/fi ... System.pdf
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:06 pm

VWJake wrote:
Ralph Goff wrote:Interesting to see that this SD240 has the three bolt outlet on the exhaust manifold. My BD 240 had a three bolt outlet. I have two BD 264s and one had the three bolt outlet, the other had two bolt.

I've wondered about this manifold. I know very little about these trucks but to date I've not seen any reference to a 3 bolt manifold. This manifold was actually on the early 50's SD220 that also came with the truck. What it came off is currently unknown to me. Perhaps it was replaced somewhere earlier in it's life? I'll see if I can get a p/n off it when after my wife and I get back from our trip this weekend.

The P/N on the exhaust manifold is 79129R11. It's a good p/n for an SD220/SD240 per the parts manual. Hmmm
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:16 am

I Googled that manifold PN...

Search results;
https://www.google.com/search?site=&sou ... 5VVSTywQu8

http://www.wbparts.com/rfq/2805-00-713-7084.html

I had contacted the sales dept. at the above site last year to find out if they sell to the public,got a nice reply the next day stating they do.So far I don't know of anyone here that has even tried for a free price quote!? I find old/obsolete parts listed a lot at these sites.
With some parts they also list superseded and aftermarket PN's. 8-)

Anyway, I check this site too if the PN shows since they list the available qty...
http://2805.iso-group.com/Public/PartDe ... 11886.aspx

Can't say if the qty. is actual or not but if it is... :o
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:55 am

Scottso wrote:I Googled that manifold PN...

Search results;
https://www.google.com/search?site=&sou ... 5VVSTywQu8

http://www.wbparts.com/rfq/2805-00-713-7084.html

I had contacted the sales dept. at the above site last year to find out if they sell to the public,got a nice reply the next day stating they do.So far I don't know of anyone here that has even tried for a free price quote!? I find old/obsolete parts listed a lot at these sites.
With some parts they also list superseded and aftermarket PN's. 8-)

Anyway, I check this site too if the PN shows since they list the available qty...
http://2805.iso-group.com/Public/PartDe ... 11886.aspx

Can't say if the qty. is actual or not but if it is... :o

I too have been wondering about these Goverment surplus sites. They seem to have alot of parts for these old binders. I wonder if I should start looking up body parts too... Almost 1000 manifolds! that's comforting. Another site showed a price of $171ea. For something I thought previously unobtainable new that isn't so bad. I bought my harmonic balancer from Tractor Service and Supply out of Ohio. I didn't figure I had a snowball's chance in hell to get that part new either.

I stumbled onto Hansen's website almost immediately after buying our '55. I read it top to bottom and then promptly downloaded and printed both manuals. They've been instrumental in helping me to understand this old girl and what makes her tick and trying to match up bits and pieces.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Progress is slower than I'd hoped but I am making headway. It took about an hour to whip up the distributor adapter. I removed the dent from the oil filter housing that Lloyd sold me and refinished it. I swapped the valve cover for one I'd previously refinished in semiflat black. Obviously the rad is mounted now too.

More updates in the next few days.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:29 pm

the progress is fantastic. good work. thanks for sharing the photos.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:02 pm

A mixed bag today.

I finally got around to flipping the ring gear on the flywheel. Geeze... I don't know what I was so worried about. I heated the gear with a rosebud and my oxy acet torch set (my dad's rig) for about 3-4min and the gear just dropped off. I flipped the flywheel over and dropped the gear right back on before it had time to cool and shrink. Good to go. I love making tools... I got to make a good one today. Knowing that I needed to apply 55-65ft lbs of torque to the flywheel bolts I grabbed a few scraps and bolt and set out to make this flywheel lock.

It bolts in and hold the flywheel fast. I'm sure there are other ways. This one is mine. That being said, if anyone wants to borrow it I'd be happy to loan it out for the cost of shipping. Feel free to let me know.

Because my block came out of a harvester thresher the distributor was mounted differently than the truck engines. I whipped up this little adapter. I was dismayed by the finish the coutersink bit left. The purpose was served, but I'll never use that bit for metal again.

I managed to seperate the manifolds without breaking anything only to find that the exhaust manifold was already cracked... Grrrr. I'm going to try to patch it for now and order a new manifold to be installed at a later date. I want this engine running in the next few days.

The distributor is finally mounted and set near 0*, I made up a new soft fuel line to go between the pump and the hard line (from tank). I actually cut the fittings off of the old line and just clamped new hose between them. Not much else to report for the day.

Tomorrow should be exciting!
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Think I asked this on the forum before, so please excuse the lapse in memory. Is not the Exhaust/intake manifolds on the SD220/SD240 the same? If so, I may have an unbroken exhaust.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off