V8 swap Gauges

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 13, 2020 2:16 pm

Re: V8 swap Gauges

WEW51L110. You have always been that person with class and the ability to think "outside the box." You must be a Mechanical Engineer. I like to suggest I may have been an OBGYN. It required "similar" thinking. LOL
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed May 13, 2020 5:12 pm

I appreciate all the options people have put out there, I really do. The way things are going I might be forced to go down that road eventually, But I feel like the point has been missed...Yes I'm modernizing the driveline BUT besides the wheels and sound of dual exhaust off an 8 I don't want it to be known it's not a factory rig. I know I can go to Speedway, or Summit, or countless other places and find cool stuff and with the simplicity of the dash make them fit easily but they won't have the sweet old lettering, style, or most importantly the classic "man on the tractor" I've grown to love over the years. I want as much stock look and parts as possible. If I wanted to build a f'in rat rod or pro street truck I wouldn't be spending so much time and money to keep the original body and look. The interior should match the exterior in my opinion. I have some skills and know a few great guys with a lot of skills. I'm sure we will make the oem stuff work in time with effort and headaches I guess I was just hoping to take the easy way and learn form someone else's trial's and errors. Once again WHEN I figure out what I can and can't do I will absolutely share. Thanks again for advice and understanding. Sorry if I came off like a "D" here it's not my intention.
Custom jobs require custom solutions

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 13, 2020 7:57 pm

The solid state voltage reducer that cornbinder suggested is the cheapest, most original solution. Use the original sensors. Solves every issue except the ammeter.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 13, 2020 8:18 pm

I've been looking for the "font" for the numbers on the L and R series speedometer. The closest I've found is called [wait for it...] SQUARE font.

The identical number font was used in '41-47 NASH speedometers, and they have a 0-120 MPH range: http://www.partssupplyonlinestores.com/photos/153682980651_1.jpg

That's the good news.

The bad news is...the numbers are on the GLASS on the Nash speedo.

I bought a Nash speedo glass off eBay a while back, hoping I could put a black background behind it and scan it on my computer. No Bueno; the curve of the glass lets light in around the scanner cover.

But I have it, so now I need to find a gauge seller who does custom faces. I think Speedhut does, but I'm not 100% sure: https://www.speedhut.com/gaugedesign/gallery

Still working on that idea for when I put the V8 in my truck.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Previous

Return to L, R and S Build-Off