Hay Day..Anyone else use their truck to get the chores done?

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:08 pm

Re: Hay Day..Anyone else use their truck to get the chores d

nikkinutshop wrote:Big Surprise
About 30+ years ago I was invited to stay for supper at a friend's farm in The Fraser Valley, south of Chilliwack. The brother of my friend was late for supper and when he came in, he could hardly contain himself. After supper I went out to my R120 to drive home and the box was full of manure. It was stacked as high as the cab and packed sown. There was a steady drip of "tea" running out from under the tailgate from the heavy rain. The brother sat on the porch and laughed so hard.
On the way home on Highway 1, I passed a parade of touring BMW motorcycles. When it was clear, I pulled back into the right lane, Very suddenly the tour group dropped back another 100 meters. Some of the front runners were waving. I do not think they were saying, "Look at the nice old truck."

Makes me think of the time I was on my bike behind a truck towing a horse trailer, I thought "oh gee it's starting to rain" and then a moment later...'' No wait a minute" :t9409:
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:06 pm

[quote="nikkinutshop"]Big Surprise
About 30+ years ago I was invited to stay for supper at a friend's farm in The Fraser Valley, south of Chilliwack. The brother of my friend was late for supper and when he came in, he could hardly contain himself. After supper I went out to my R120 to drive home and the box was full of manure. It was stacked as high as the cab and packed sown. There was a steady drip of "tea" running out from under the tailgate from the heavy rain. The brother sat on the porch and laughed so hard.
On the way home on Highway 1, I passed a parade of touring BMW motorcycles. When it was clear, I pulled back into the right lane, Very suddenly the tour group dropped back another 100 meters. Some of the front runners were waving. I do not think they were saying, "Look at te nice old truck."[/quote
Great story, Nikki! Perfectly conveyed, too!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:25 pm

At that time, I had a crazy neighbour. This guy would complain about everything. I spread the manure into our garden and top-dressed the front and back lawn. He tried to yell at me, but I thought he could not get a full lung of air. I suppose this was not unlike "diaper breathing." After coughing spells the best he could do was a few "You, you, etc."
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:37 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:At that time, I had a crazy neighbour. This guy would complain about everything. I spread the manure into our garden and top-dressed the front and back lawn. He tried to yell at me, but I thought he could not get a full lung of air. I suppose this was not unlike "diaper breathing." After coughing spells the best he could do was a few "You, you, etc."
. Great story, as usual!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:51 pm

I found this picture of my R120 and a Wells Cargo Car Hauler. I bought the new Wells for $5500 and towed it home behind the R120. I should have had wide tow mirrors.
The trailer has an "R" crewcab and most of the R120 inside.
Attachments
WELLS CARGO ihc STORAGE.jpg
CREWCAB FRONTG.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:13 am

Nikki, did you dismantle the R120? What happened to it?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:20 am

It was parted out. I kept most of it. The drivetrain and a few other bits went to a friend. It had over 225.000 miles on the truck at that time. Rust had started to take a bite in a few places. The engine needed lots of work. The rear Dana 60 needed lots of work. The frame needed some immediate attention. I was given an environmental warning ticket for an oil leak.
A short time later I called my friend and bought some of the "R" back.
I have a few regrets.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:48 am

Oh. Sounds like you made the best decision for the situation, at the time, Nikki.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Redneck Camper Special

Dose this count,,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:13 pm

pkfj wrote:Oh. Sounds like you made the best decision for the situation, at the time, Nikki.

I think so.
Every so often I feel some seller's remorse. I will include quite a bit of the old R120 in the Orrville Crewcab build. I am working on improving my situation so I can get on with this build, later this year.
There was a time when I had one of those 10 foot ALASKAN CAMPERS on the R120. That was a long time ago, and I do not have any pictures of the camper on the "R". I rebuilt the four hydraulic lift cylinders and replaced all of the hydraulic lines with AEROQUIP. The list of new and improved goes long and boring.
The Alaskan I had has gone to a new home. I would like to find another, maybe. The Alaskan I owned was from the 1950s and made in Red Deer, Alberta. I have two full sets of hydraulics and restored badges. There is a new water tank, telescopic stairs and two new mini-sinks. I built and kept two lockable outside boxes for a Honda Gen-Set and something else.
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sxsr ... 97&bih=553
Attachments
AAH OOH GAH GOES HERE.jpg
Orrville
alaskan camper 4.jpg
alaskan camper 3.jpg
ALASKAN CAMPER 1.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off