L110 transmission oil

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:21 am

L110 transmission oil

Can any one she'd some light on what type of oil is used in the original transmissions been looking but can't seem to find any information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 am

Re: L110 transmission oil

If you're asking what was originally used, it would have been straight mineral oil. GL-1, and still available at tractor supply houses. Many use 50 wt motor oil, which is the same viscosity as 90 wt gear oil. If your transmission has synchronizers, the key is to avoid the GL-5 gear oils, as they degrade the yellow metals. A little searching will provide more information than you can digest about gear oils for transmissions.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:28 pm

I bought a new NVG 4500 from a test drive Ram 3500 roll-over truck. I spent a few hours on line researching for the best oil for this transmission. There is the usual BS from the forums and some solid information from the oil maker/suppliers. I bought several buckets of GL5 SCHAEFFER synthetic gear oil @ $10 for 20 liters. The normal retail price on this lube can be over $60/liter.
There were all of the passed along warnings of terrible things happening to the synchromesh and use of this product should be avoided. I contacted an oil engineer to get some good information. Simply, she said, "No problem."
The NVG 241dld transfer case requires Dexron ATF.
My ex-employer sent a few of us to a two day class on lubrication. I asked the question about GL5 and "yellow" metals in transmissions. There should be no problem, was the answer.
Attachments
241dld transfer case.jpg
241dld
NVG 4500.jpg
NVG 4500
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:36 pm

The problem with GL2, thru GL-5 is not that the degrade yellow metal (that used to be the case years ago) but that the whole reasoning for the additive package in these oils is to prevent wiping the oil film off hypoid gearsets. The way syncro's work is they need to have a little friction between the cone and cup, the additive package tends keep oil between the syncro ring and dog, in short it makes the syncro less effective then it would be with engine oil or GL-1.
Using GL-2 thru GL-5 or even -6 will not damage the transmission but may make it harder to shift or "balkyer" on shifts.
GL-2 and above can be used in non-syncro trans that call for GL-1.
There is one trans, I don't remember which one ( I think it was a Spicer) that uses small needle bearing in the counter-shaft and that trans needs light engine oil ( IIRC it calls for 10W-40). It doesn't apply to the L110 however, which used a more primitive trans.

Return to L, R and S Build-Off