'55 R-122 rehab

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: '55 R-122 rehab

I love the mason jar overflow tank! It's much cooler than the stainless tank I got from Speedway, and I'm going to rip off this idea in its entirety, without a moment's pause. ;)
The tractor radio mounting spot is worth considering for any of us. Our cabs aren't that large that there's a great surplus of room for such frivolity as a radio. And the control knob tip is perfect for those of us who have tweaked and forced our OEM stuff 'til it just won't fit work any more. Thanks!
Mike

I'm from the top half of the bottom third...and you?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:58 am

I've spent a couple quality hours re-reading this thread, start to current, and I've been tremendously impressed with the work you've done, and the problems you've addressed. There are many things you've done that will be implemented either whole-cloth, or as a springboard on my S120. Thanks for the inspiration. You da man!
Mike

I'm from the top half of the bottom third...and you?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:22 am

Thank you for all of the kind words. Ive enjoyed the process of bringing this truck to its current state. It's a joy for me every time I get behind the wheel. I still have more projects up my sleeve.

im so pleased that I found this forum. Its a wealth of information and ideas. I'm happy to share mine good, bad, or otherwise.

Take care and happy building!
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:08 pm

Freckles wrote:I love the mason jar overflow tank! It's much cooler than the stainless tank I got from Speedway, and I'm going to rip off this idea in its entirety, without a moment's pause. ;)
The tractor radio mounting spot is worth considering for any of us. Our cabs aren't that large that there's a great surplus of room for such frivolity as a radio. And the control knob tip is perfect for those of us who have tweaked and forced our OEM stuff 'til it just won't fit work any more. Thanks!

Agreed! that is a slick mod that was made!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:59 pm

Impressive fabrication.
Great job!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:29 pm

The slope just got a little more slippery yesterday. Took a trip downstate to look at some IH transmissions this fella had advertised on CL. He had a T14 and a T19. The T19 happened to be a 2wd model. I popped the cover and saw a mouse nest, crawler 1st gear and a scarred Rev gear. We agreed on a good price for it and loaded it in the back of my Caddy for the ride home.

Now I have a trans with syncros to replace my current syncroless T9. The driveshaft will need to be shortened to install the T19. I could just install the parking drum on the T19, shorten the shaft and call it a day. Or... I could install the T19 w/o the drum, scrounge up a 3.73 rear axle w/ drums from an exploder, shorten the shaft, and find 2 16" smooth steel wheels and call it a day. Then tthe trcuk would have "Big6" front split rims and Ford 5bolt rear 1pc rims Orr...I could install the trans, axle (w/ discs or drums), modified shaft, front disc brakes, new master cylinder (might as well boost it while I'm in there) and 4 16" steel wheels... Orrr... All of the last mods, lower the truck and get some fancy mag wheels... Naturally there'd have to be some new tires to go with it as well. Ugh.

My wallet is starting to ache already.

Two mods that didn't cost anything: I finally got around to mounting the radio cover on top of my fender mount radio to act as a tray for my wallet/phone/etc. After drilling a few rivets I was able to flip the lid hinges. I made a couple of AL brackets that use existing hardware to support the lid in it's new position. I also finally got around to repairing a vintage Sun 6k tach to mount in the Sun cup on the dash. I rarely ever look at the tach, but it's nice to know it's finally complete and looks good.

'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:36 am

Thumbs up! The wallet never is deep enough!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Haha isn't that the truth.
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:19 pm

bsievers1616 wrote:
Freckles wrote:I love the mason jar overflow tank! It's much cooler than the stainless tank I got from Speedway, and I'm going to rip off this idea in its entirety, without a moment's pause. ;)

Agreed! that is a slick mod that was made!

IIRC Volvo's from the 60's used a similar glass overflow jar. They don't stand up well to impacts, but if your hit hard enough to break it, you've got other problems!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:59 am

VWJake wrote:The slope just got a little more slippery yesterday. Took a trip downstate to look at some IH transmissions this fella had advertised on CL. He had a T14 and a T19. The T19 happened to be a 2wd model. I popped the cover and saw a mouse nest, crawler 1st gear and a scarred Rev gear. We agreed on a good price for it and loaded it in the back of my Caddy for the ride home.

Now I have a trans with syncros to replace my current syncroless T9. The driveshaft will need to be shortened to install the T19. I could just install the parking drum on the T19, shorten the shaft and call it a day. Or... I could install the T19 w/o the drum, scrounge up a 3.73 rear axle w/ drums from an exploder, shorten the shaft, and find 2 16" smooth steel wheels and call it a day. Then tthe trcuk would have "Big6" front split rims and Ford 5bolt rear 1pc rims Orr...I could install the trans, axle (w/ discs or drums), modified shaft, front disc brakes, new master cylinder (might as well boost it while I'm in there) and 4 16" steel wheels... Orrr... All of the last mods, lower the truck and get some fancy mag wheels... Naturally there'd have to be some new tires to go with it as well. Ugh.

My wallet is starting to ache already.

Two mods that didn't cost anything: I finally got around to mounting the radio cover on top of my fender mount radio to act as a tray for my wallet/phone/etc. After drilling a few rivets I was able to flip the lid hinges. I made a couple of AL brackets that use existing hardware to support the lid in it's new position. I also finally got around to repairing a vintage Sun 6k tach to mount in the Sun cup on the dash. I rarely ever look at the tach, but it's nice to know it's finally complete and looks good.

Jake did you get a T-19A/close ratio, or a T-19/wide ratio, BTW, nice work on the truck.
I recall on my T-19A, I had to use the T-98 clutch sleeve thing where the throw out bearing rides on. The T-19A sleeve was slightly larger at the hole in the bell housing at the mating surface.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off