Brad's 1954 R Series Build

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Re: Brad's 1954 R Series Build

Those brackets look home fabricated. So...... Just about anything could have happened. Sorry, I gave my last original IHC tail light bracket the one of the American members of this forum.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:12 am

This weekend I was able to mount the aftermarket windshield wipers. My front facing camera has no flash, so i couldn't get a pic of that. I'll do it later though. I ended up mounting the wiper motor on the inside of the driver kick panel. I think it'll work good enough.

Also, i started making brake lines for the front. I figured i would get them made and routed before i put the engine in to make it easier. Never done this part before. I guess i will find out later if i did a good job, but the double flares looked nice at least :)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:18 pm

I'm a few pages late, but here is picture of my 53 R112 with American Torque II if you wanted to see them on a International, Enjoy
RJ
IMG_6189.JPG

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:41 pm

> now, i have a question, and this shows my lack of complete IHC knowledge that maybe one of you can answer. The taillight
> brackets are different from the driver to passengar side. One side is elongated. Was this by design? maybe a reverse light or
> something else fit there? Or did someone swap a new part in a some point?

Originally the truck would have come with only one bracket and light on the the left side for a 'stop' light. In your pictures the one on the right looks like the original IHC light style, with red glass lens and clear curved license plate lens in the bottom side.

This is what an original bracket looks like, I got second matching bracket for the right side from one of my parts trucks, if you turn the left bracket upside down it matches fine to mount on the right. (Note that the lights in the picture are not IHC, they are Model A Ford reproductions with glass lenses. I also modified those for one of the internal sockets to take a double filament bulb so I could have signal, brake, and tail lights)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Those wheels look really good. Know I know the "what if?"
My son's L110 will be a 4X4 with Dana 44 axles from a 1998-99 Ram 1500, so the wheels will be Ram 1500. At less than $300 for a set, with good all terrain tires, it was a good deal. The tires will be replaced with new AT when the truck hits the road.
I make a nice replacement centre cap with an IH.
Attachments
Ram 17 inch wheels.jpg
Ram 17 inch

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:53 pm

kyoung wrote:>

Originally the truck would have come with only one bracket and light on the the left side for a 'stop' light. In your pictures the one on the right looks like the original IHC light style, with red glass lens and clear curved license plate lens in the bottom side.

This is what an original bracket looks like, I got second matching bracket for the right side from one of my parts trucks, if you turn the left bracket upside down it matches fine to mount on the right. (Note that the lights in the picture are not IHC, they are Model A Ford reproductions with glass lenses. I also modified those for one of the internal sockets to take a double filament bulb so I could have signal, brake, and tail lights)

Thanks for the info!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:56 pm

Rattlinrack wrote:I'm a few pages late, but here is picture of my 53 R112 with American Torque II if you wanted to see them on a International, Enjoy
RJ

Love the look. Are those 15's? 8" wide? Do you recall the front tire size?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:06 am

The fronts are 15x6 with 3.26 back space. I did use 1 inch wide spacer plates which gave the clearance needed for the tie rod end. The backs were 15x7 with 3.75 back space and again I used 1 inch wide spacers just to keep the tracking the same, there was not a clearance issue on the Ford 8.8 rearend with disc brakes. I have had no problems with the spacer plates, just make sure you keep the lug studs and nuts below flush on the spacer and make sure and torque to specs then re-torque after a few days. I do check them in occasion just because I'm weird like that. I'm also running 225 75 15 tires on front and back they are 28.85 inches tall. To get the lower stance I put my rear end on the top of the leaf spring and had new, and 5/8 dia. U bolts bent for extra strength.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:11 am

Nikki,
Those Dodge wheels will look nice too. That is a good deal for sure. The Americans were $149.00 each with free shipping out of Wheelsforless, just saw the only ship to lower 48 though.... Make sure to post lots of pictures when the truck is done, looking forward to seeing it for sure.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Those Ram wheels are 17"X 8". The 17 inch wheels are much less expensive than the more popular larger diameter 20 inch.
Two things made our choice. 1) lower cost for the wheels 2) less wheel and more tire may soften the ride.
The option to use the 20 inch wheels is a matter of waiting for the right set on Craigslist.
. We are anxious to get back to our L110 Diesel 4x4. Until the shop is clear we are collecting more parts for the project.
I like your truck.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off