Brad's 1954 R Series Build

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 05, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Brad's 1954 R Series Build

My battery is mounted inside the frame, under the bed on the passenger side. I solved the charging issue by mounting an onboard battery tender that is weatherproof next to the battery, the 3 prong plug is accessible just under the lower edge of the bed. If The truck is not going to be driven for a while I just plug it in. I got the charger at Autozone. And if jumping it is an issue, you can install remote jumping terminals like we put on the race cars.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 10, 2016 2:44 pm

I like the battery tender and we have five of them in service. The battery tender is available at our Harley dealer and it was $12 less than the battery store across the street. One of the "battery maintainers was bought at the Honda motorcycle dealer and it was nearly $20 less and on sale.
Something I like and install on my vehicles is the quick disconnect battery cable connectors. There is a rubber like cap that covers the opening of the connector. Both side of the connection are the same. It is easy to make a simple bracket to hard mount the battery side of the connector.
Our battery choice is https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us This battery can be mounted in any position and does not require servicing. Contrary to popular opinion, we got more than a decade of 6.9 Diesel starting, summer and winter with twin Optima batteries. https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/f ... ton=Search
Our non IHC has an Optima Red Top in the right rear of the boot. (trunk) Another Red Top operates the 12 volt hydraulic pump motor for a twin cylinder hydraulic lift-table, I make.
Some pictures.
Attachments
battery connect 5.jpg
battery connect 4.jpg
battery connect 3.jpg
battery connect 2.jpg
batery connect 1.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 19, 2016 11:38 pm

A gentleman is selling a nice long bed box....wants 1200 for it, includes a nice tail gate. My first thought was hec yes. But what are your opinions? Too high? Price is right?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 20, 2016 12:55 am

Buy it. $1200 will not pay for very much repair on a needs work box and tailgate.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 20, 2016 7:06 am

Try making an offer on the box and tailgate. There may be another person needing the set, but, more than likely not.
Fenders? Fenders are getting expensive. You might get lucky and the seller may have a rear bumper.
Lots of luck to you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 20, 2016 11:43 am

thanks. I bought it. the entire box, tailgate, fenders. So.....i guess i am not done painting and doing body work. :)

only about a 2.5 hr drive to go get it too.

Image54 IHC by isu_phi, on Flickr
Last edited by bsievers1616 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri May 20, 2016 9:11 pm

Well I've seen beds that were a lot cheaper than that one, but none any near that good of condition. That to me is a great buy, better to have nice clean metal than spend half as much on junk.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 20, 2016 9:22 pm

Do you have a good running board set? Don't be afraid to ask. Free is good, I would pay $350 or much more for a really good set.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Well, here she is. Overall, in GREAT shape. The only rusty area is in the front, but after some cleaning and inspection today, i should be able to repair it easily. I mean, there isnt even really a dent in any of the sides, and only surface rust in any exposed areas.

The fenders, other than a few dents, have a couple cracks, however, are essentially rust free. surface rust only. I dont think i am even going to use them, so hopefully someone will buy them from me. I'd give them a 7 out of 10.

The tailgate certainly isnt perfect, and will require some repair, but i am stoked about it. Overall great shape. I'd take a picture of it, but i broke my camera on my phone :(

I snapped a few pics before the camera broke though:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 29, 2016 2:16 pm

now, i have a question, and this shows my lack of complete IHC knowledge that maybe one of you can answer. The taillight brackets are different from the driver to passengar side. One side is elongated. Was this by design? maybe a reverse light or something else fit there? Or did someone swap a new part in a some point?

PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off