My L 110

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:29 am

Re: My L 110

nikkinutshop wrote:Lots of luck with your project. Maybe my experience with L&R trucks is a Canadian built truck one. After the L series, with the very nice, and probably expensive, four hinge points, were changed to the single hinged point per side on the R series.
While I like the side opening hood design for being different, it can make service checks more difficult. We are moving the engine dipstick to the right side where the engine oil filter, oil fill point and the automatic transmission dipstick are. We do not change our oil at home, anymore and I don't want to have the oil change guys having to do the side to side thing. The drive thru is too easy and convenient, for our family.

My L is Canadian for sure (I live in AB), not sure on the R and in fact I have yet to bring the R home and so I was assuming the latches where the same since they both have handles in the same location on the side of the hood... Haven't got my hands on it yet so I haven't seen under the hood.

Either way I should be okay since I'm planning to stick with the L hood.

If you can find someone dependable to change your oil that is more time for cruising! I'm the household mechanic so I do my fair share of oil changes as I maintain my parent's vehicles as well (told my son he will need to do that for me when I get old!).
1952 L 110
1953 R 160 (parts truck)
1963 Ford C-series
1982 Ram 250 Van
1989 Nissan Pulsar NX (backup/project)
1994 Town Car (daily driver)
2000 Neon (snow plow & yard vehicle)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:38 pm

Just a few pictures. the handles are close, but 6 inches different
Attachments
l HOOD CATCH SYSTEM.jpg
L latch
R HOOD.jpg
"R:
HOOD AND LATCH.jpg
hood and latch
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 am

Okay, I see what you mean, thanks for posting that up. The L certainly looks like a better design, it seems odd to me that they would do that, I could see if the progression went the other way, but to redesign the entire latching system to make it weaker really does seem odd!

I will be arranging for my "R" to be towed home early next month and as long as my shop isn't flooded by then (it floods every spring!) I will start tear down and post up the pics.
1952 L 110
1953 R 160 (parts truck)
1963 Ford C-series
1982 Ram 250 Van

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:40 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Just a few pictures. the handles are close, but 6 inches different

Where can I find a international book like this?

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:39 am

That should be a Parts Manuel, you can find those sometimes on E-bay, you should be able to also find them at http://www.binderbooks.com/

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:19 am

I got my IHC books from a dealership shut down guy, back in the 1970's. MAGIHC MIKE got many of the books and I kept everything R&L. You could try Books 4 Cars in Seattle, WA. They have lots of Binder literature including Crismon's book in hard and soft cover.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:36 pm

Sorry for not putting any update on here. The only thing I have accomplished since I started this thread was getting my parts truck moved home. I have been fighting with ongoing health issues which are keeping me away from my shop a lot so I'm not sure I will make any progress on my IHC this summer since I have some other projects on the go as well.

Some days I feel like selling everything else and just working on my IHC, but I'm too attached to all my projects!
1952 L 110
1953 R 160 (parts truck)
1963 Ford C-series
1982 Ram 250 Van

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:49 pm

Matt, I can understand that. Priorities are important. Your Health is first! Everything can fall into place after that. Thoughts are with you.
Lloyd

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:25 pm

Greetings all! Well I finally got my "L" pushed into the shop and a whole new game plan! I eliminated a few projects so I could focus on my L, one of the projects I eliminated was my '04 Durango which I had already fitted a 5.0 Ford engine in. This project is now donating it's awesome frame to my L project! I really wanted to do the truck old skool but I also wanna see it done and drive it well I have the chance...

I'm early on in the swap but have spent a lot of time with my tape measure and haven't found an issue I can 't overcome. I do have to widen the wheel openings an inch each to give clearance for the larger tires. Then I 'm stretching the box around 4" so the wheels are centered in the fenders. It is either that or shorten the frame, considering the truck is gonna sit a lot higher I figure the extra box length will help the look. It isn 't 4WD if anyone wondered, the Durango was but I removed the front diff.

I have one question, the factory heater, mine looks to be in nice shape , I would like to still use it, but... Do they work well? I may drive the truck in sub zero weather at times. Also does the pop up cowl vent have to be open to use the heater or is that for summer time ventilation?

One more question, anyone know if I can post pictures using my Iphone? I really want to start putting pictures up as I go so I stay motivated but my computer recently got zapped by a virus...
1952 L 110
1953 R 160 (parts truck)
1963 Ford C-series
1982 Ram 250 Van

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:14 pm

I think I can answer two of your questions.
1. The cowl vent is for fresh outside air. Don't know about you, but I don't want fresh, sub-zero, cold air blowing on me when I'm trying to get some heat out of the heater. Keep it closed in winter! Open it up for "cooler" in the summer. The heater is independent of the cowl vent. I drove several winters in Tenn. without the driver's side door glass and that was too much cool air for me. Heater capacity will be determined by how clean the system is, how much flow you get through the cooling system, and how spot on your anti-freeze is in the cooling system. There are a lot of these old trucks in the cold air states and Canada, so I have to believe they have reasonable heater capacity when they are in good condition. (I'm assuming you have all of the glass intact too! Too many places for the warm air to get out will impact the effectiveness.)
2. You cannot transfer photos directly from your Iphone to this forum. Bummer about your computer condition. You'll need to copy them from your phone to a computer and then bring them in from the computer or from links to a website storage service. If you have the capability to e-mail them to yourself (computer) would be another way to get them from your phone. Save them from the e-mail to your hard drive, portable storage device or website storage service for later usage.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off