Brad's 1954 R Series Build

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu May 21, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: Brad's 1954 R Series Build

I haven't even started on the fenders or grille and both fenders look little worse than yours .. after I paint the cab and doors and finish the column install and brakes I will start working on them and my body painter will help.. but takes a long time when your splitting time on everything to keep it moving. but my cab I think we had several spots that got primers and blocked and blocket over and over till all the dings were out long process.. but got it. Keep up the good work your coming along pretty good.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:42 am

well, a little progress. Everything is now red paint free. Outside of the cab is sitting in epoxy. I have a whole lot of body work ahead of me :)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:47 am

Question :

When you are wiping down panels with pre-paint prep. What kind of rags/cloth are you using? I have yet to find something that doesn't leave lint and trash behind????

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:07 am

local paint shop tack rags not real expensive don't touch the panels after wipe down, Paint shop has a degreaser you wipe it down with first then go over with tack rag.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:08 am

keep it up your catching up with me ...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:48 am

Just had a bad experience with that, used to use "new" cloths from hardware store or wherever, but last batch had something in them and left a residue that didn't show up until started to paint. Had to start over. Went to auto paint store and bought wiping cloths specific for auto body paint, the clerk should be able to point them out. Use plenty of Pre-Kleen, wax/grease remover, (variety of different names) and wipe down several times using fresh cloths until no dust transfers to the cloths. I then give the panels a quick shot of CLEAN air. Use a clean air hose, not the hose from the impact gun or residual oil/water will be all over your clean parts. You should be ready for sealer. Had similar bad luck with tack rags, left steaks that showed up in the finish. Never had a problem when spraying acrylic or lacquer with them, but two/three stage paints seemed more finicky, Maybe just coincidence, maybe not. I've since used 3M and less expensive house brands of wiping cloths with good success. Sweating the details in prep pays off big in the end, the truck is looking great, good luck !

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:34 pm

well, i spent more of this fathers day weekend coaching baseball and helping my good friend with his '64 Chevy pickup. I didnt get much sanding done.

However, i did end up bring this home:

Image54 IHC by isu_phi, on Flickr

She is a built 355. .480 hydrolic flat tappet cam, 550 springs, 1.5 rockers, 72CC heads....all recently rebuilt by a reputable machine shop up in Shermon, TX. I have videos of it running in a Chevelle and it is glorious sounding :) It sure makes me wish i was a bit closer to running the wires and turning the key. My original plan was to go with a crate motor....but i couldnt pass this one up. So, i guess fingers are crossed that this one works out like i hope.

I do realize that the long tubes probably wont work, but they came with the motor....so i can always sell them. Also, i will probably end up running an electric fan...but again, it all came with the motor.

If nothing else, it certainly provides some motivation.
Last edited by bsievers1616 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:41 pm

it looks awesome , nice motor hope it gives you a lot of motivation.. I starting to run empty on that just to many hours but I will finally get to start putting the interior together and wiring so that will rejuvenate my motivation, n drive shaft should be done by the end of week.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:54 pm

The 6th picture appears to show a fuel tank on EACH side---------is that correct??? Has anyone else seen this on an R-series pickup?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:31 am

yep, i have two gas tanks. that being said, only one of them was actually hooked up. The passenger side tank wasn't connected to anything.

I have yet to decide how i am going to use them. New fuel cell in the rear or restore and use both or one of the tanks?????

Both tanks are really in pretty darn good shape......if i dont use them, i am sure it will be easy to find them a home
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off