Brad's 1954 R Series Build

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Brad's 1954 R Series Build

I knew i should have checked here first! what was i thinking? Well, i guess we'll see if what i bought will work. It should, but if it doesn't i appreciate the information.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:27 pm

You ever got questions feel free to ask me.. I will get to as soon as i can ..If i dont know it, I have to master mechanics to go to, both in there 70s, One use to build race engines and worked for several dealers.. the other ran a 3 shift shop with diesels and gas..did whatever it needed to fix them. they have probably forgotten more than we will ever know..Its a nice source for me.. thanks mark

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:30 pm

as i believe wes told/showed be a while back......through the toe board it will be. So, i guess I'll end up filling the old hole in the firewall where the steering column used to travel though, and create a new hole through the toe board. An extra pair of hands for this one is probably required. So, we'll see what shakes out from this coming weekend.

The clearance looks tight in the pic, and it is, however there is a little more than what the pic is showing

Image54 IHC by isu_phi, on Flickr

Last edited by bsievers1616 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:03 pm

Nice job ..looks nice ...I will be working on the my 3 piece linkage thus weekend..hope to finish some things before I star wiring I the up to start it n make it roll.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:29 am

alright, a couple last pics of the mockup....and then blow it apart and start to paint it.

somehow.....the original shifter hole lined up perfectly with the shifter location for the 700R4. Hey something had to go right unintentionally right? Also, got the steering column mounted correctly in the new location with my new floor mount and the steering linkage all completed. Plugged up the old steering column hole too. I will get the firewall smoothed out when i get the motor back out. I was too lazy and fell asleep on the couch last night instead :)

Mark, if/when you read this, have you picked out your front wheels yet for your MII front end? I am curious if you are going with an 8" wheel and what backspace. I know that when i put the old wheels on that i have, that cranking left or right, i am rubbing on the inner fenders (front end must be slightly narrower?). It may take a wheel spacer to prevent that, or a different backspacing on the wheel. I probably wont make that purchase until post paint, but was still curious so i could start researching.
Last edited by bsievers1616 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:06 am

good question , I have wheels on it already but havent checked it with the inner fenders but will do so this weekend and let you know

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:29 am

Brad, there's an adjustable bracket made by Percy's that will tell you what width and backspace wheels you can use. One sets the proposed wheel/tire combination within the bracket, and bolts it on. Then swing the steering though its arc and see how/where interference comes to play. Summit and Jegs both sell them, or an equivalent. This would allow several combinations to be tried without having to buy, try, and attempt to return various wheels.
It might be worth looking at, if 20 minutes' of quality time with a tape measure doesn't point out the obvious! ;)
Mike

I'm from the top half of the bottom third...and you?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:13 pm

thanks Freckles.

Its been far too long since i had an update worth posting. But i did get a bunch of parts in that ive been waiting on. I picked up vintage air A/C as well as their SBC front runner kit. So, i pulled the evaporator out of the box this weekend and got it mounted up under the dash. As i was told, some fab required. So, i built a bracket/mount and got it mocked up. Surprisingly, there is still going to be plently of leg room and its hidden decent when the dash is in place

I also mounted the controls

Last edited by bsievers1616 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:19 pm

also, it was probably too dang windy, but i did get the cab into high build primer, as well as got my "black parts" painted black. at least i am making baby steps. this spring is going to be crazy with coaching both my boys baseball teams. It's going to be tough to find the time that i really want to put in.

Image54 IHC by isu_phi, on Flickrhavkq9j.jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by bsievers1616 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Hope yall had a nice Easter weekend! Nice weather plus no work equals truck time! I have been planning to do many parts of the truck in a bed liner type material (specifically "Raptor Liner", however, since the beginning, i have been eyeballing and considering using that material on all of the truck as its topcoat. Usually seen on more 4x4 and off road vehicles, i have seen a few more in the area that are really done well and i have to be honest that i really like it. I have done my research on application, durability, how others have used it, so i thought i would give it a go. After shooting some parts this weekend, and seeing it first hand on how this truck could look, my mind is made up.

Now, i do realize that some are going to hate it, some are going to love it. And i guess that is what you get when you build something to your taste and style. A somewhat custom hotrod truck can be whatever you want it to be. And, i am kind of excited to see how this look is going to shake out. I am hopeful that within a month or so, i can have this thing painted up.

Here is a sneak peak. You might have to zoom in on the pics to get the best look, but i am pretty sure everyone knows what the look will be. This stuff can be tinted to whatever color you want, so the Gun Metal Gray and Black truck is still my plan.

Last edited by bsievers1616 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off