Brad's 1954 R Series Build

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: Brad's 1954 R Series Build

figured i take this non-truck post out of here.......
Last edited by bsievers1616 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:00 am

OK, onto truck stuff. Its too cold out to paint the next round of primer, and i am waiting on my transission to arrive to install the motor/transmission...mounts ect.....

So, a few projects that had been in the back of my mind were able to be tackled this weekend.

Since i took out those angled cross braces to box the frame, i ended taking those braces and boxing them to give them more strength. They should be plenty strong to keep the radiator in place

Image54 IHC by isu_phi, on Flickr

Then, i stripped the running boards and painted up the back side of them. The front side is going to get raptor liner shot on them when it warms up a bit. My helper was helping me scuff them up in preperation for some paint.

finally, the head light housings needed the similar cleaning, scuffing, painting done to them, so i got that knocked out today too.

Last edited by bsievers1616 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:18 pm

Looking good.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:53 am

Coming along nicely, especially considering all the other "projects". Been there. By the way, your helper is priceless. The memories you both are building will last a lifetime. If you need any parts for your headlights, check out 47-55 chevy suppliers, gaskets grommets, adjusting screws, etc. cross over. They both used the " Guide Mfg" assemblies, and the chevy suppliers are much cheaper. Keep up the good work !

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:18 pm

Awesome, thanks for that information!!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:04 am

Merry Christmas to me yesterday afternoon!!

Last edited by bsievers1616 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:07 am

spent the weekend working on motor mounts, mockups....etc. Frankly, i worked all weekend and didn't get too much accomplished other than acquiring a lot more questions for myself. I will have to spend this week doing more research on how high in the frame, how far back to go, and then figuring out how i am going to get this thing in there straight. slightly frustrating, however, I'd rather spend the time learning how to do it right than rework down the road.

I had a couple realizations:

1) the transmission crossmember i have isnt going to work, i will need one with a longer drop. I'd love to just build one, but i really don't have the materials or experience to do that. So i ordered a different one that should be here Friday.

2) after taking 1000 measurements, i just couldn't seem to get things how i wanted them. My idea now is to build some sort of jig for myself to ensure i get things lined up properly. But, i really am going to search other peoples builds and see how they did it to get some more ideas.

3) oh, and ya......my steering linkage definitely wont clear the way i had it :)
Last edited by bsievers1616 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:36 am

ya it takes a little work and measurement to figure out where to put motor height dont matter its the angle to the driveshaft(important) you need to keep in mind and usually the motors have a 3 to 4 degree tilt to towards the cab, I have done a few transplants, dear old dad told me to have the tilt for the carb. I put my angle find on carb plate and sighted them in, tried to have level from drivers to pass side. there are plenty of ways to do all this but that is my few words of help. and remember its not rocket science. Just as close as i could get it and i still have projects currently running on the road..I am sure you will have other chime in.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:14 am

um..........ya, this isnt going to work :) I guess i will be sending these back. I found another set that actually had measurements....and based on those they should fit. hope to find out this weekend

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:53 pm

sanderson block huggers should give you clearance
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off