KB-7 cab Which frame?

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:05 am

KB-7 cab Which frame?

I have a KB-7 cab that Is in fairly nice shape. I also have a 1996 5.9 cummins and a 4x4 dually drive train. The frame of the dually has been labelled "salvage only" by insurance so I can't use it for a build. The KB-7 frame has been welded up so many times that I would never be able to get insurance on a truck built out of that frame.

I was going to buy another 2nd generation Dodge frame and use that for a build and then I got to thinking that if I have to buy another frame anyways, I might as well ask what you guys think first. I'm still leaning towards the Dodge frame for ease of motor mounts and attaching the front 4x4 axle but someone here might have experience with something else. I'm looking for your recommendations.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Re: KB-7 cab Which frame?

The KB7 is a rather large truck and does not qualify as a pickup truck. If this were my project, I would be looking for a Ram 4500 frame. Most if not all of the Ram 4500 trucks came with Cummins power. The back 2/3 of the frame, behind the cab, was straight and did not have the hump over the rear axle. http://hoytedodgeramchryslerjeep.com/ra ... cab-truck/
Finding one of these frames may not be as easy as locating a Ram 2500 or 3500 frame. the straight frame is the better way to go and may be worth the extra search time. If you find a frame with some damage, a local frame shop may be able to recertify the frame after a straightening.
There are auto wrecker networks that connect with each other on the internet. I have used the online network to find Dana 44 axles, an NVG 4500 transmission and an NVG241dld transfercase. If you cannot make the online connection at your PC, any one of the members will be able to help you.
Having the 4X4 and engine mounts is a great advantage and may be worth the while if fabrication is not your strong suit. Some fabrication and welding may be required. A buzz-box HF welder is not good enough.
If you think you may run out of room under the hood of your KB7, you might consider placing the radiator behind the cab and having the intercooler in front of the motor where the OEM radiator was installed. This may be interchangeable.
I bought an IHC R150 frame for my R crewcab project. There will be some simple fabrication for the suspension and less difficult fabrication for the Cummins 5.9 24 valve. This frame must accommodate a set of DANA 60 axles and sir springs. My thinking is it may be easer to mount an IHC cab and running boards onto and IHC frame. The frame was designed to match the cab.
This frame is 246 inches long. the rear of the frame can be shortened, if required.
I am not a fan of frame swaps, usually. There are circumstances where the frame swap is a good idea, and other times it is thought to be an easy way out of a situation. A frame swap, in your circumstance is the best way to get what you want done safely and reliably. Good Luck
Attachments
NVG 4500.jpg
from Jeep stuff in Calgary
241dld transfer case.jpg
fron City Auto and truck parts in Edmonton
cummins 24 valve.jpg
From a Government auction
E350 DANA 60.jpg
From a local Ford recycler. Econoline E350
F350 DANA 60 HP.jpg
Local Ford recycler. 1997 F350, hight pinion
R120- rbox.jpg
1953 8 foot box and shop built canopy
R120- rbox.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 4622 times
R130 ORRVILLE CREWCAB.jpg
Orrville IHC cab
R150 FRAME 1.jpg
Front section
R150 FRAME 2.jpg
mid section
R150 FRAME 3.jpg
rear section Total weight 700#
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:15 am

Thanks for your reply. One of the reasons I went with the KB-7 is that there is just enough room in between the radiator and the firewall for the 5.9. I have two KB-5 cab's that would work but then I either need to put the rad behind the cab as you have suggested or cut a box into the firewall. I think this project is going to be hard enough to keep the noise down in without moving the engine into the cab. Also on the KB-7 there is enough room in front of the radiator to install an intercooler.

I like your idea of a 4500 frame. That is something I hadn't thought of. I have an old box that I am planning on using. I haven't looked at it close enough to see who the manufacturer is. I was thinking of making a set of rear fenders out of a set of semi trailer fenders and manufacturing running boards to tie it all together. Just tossing ideas around.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:58 pm

I have used a really good sound insulation product. It is made in Canada and I know it works. This sound insulation is very much like Dynamat and is about half the cost. I would try and discourage anyone from using a lead based sound insulation. The government test shows the lead to off-gas and the vapor will shrink you testicles. This may cause you voice to go way up and you could sound like Ingeborg Hallstein. https://youtu.be/368_IfY4M24
If you get lucky you could sound like my late friend https://youtu.be/BBr8yuoLDLg I met this guy at his local concert. He called me out because we looked like twins. He got me to try and sing then said "you need lots of work." I found it soul stirring to listen to a man 2 meters tall sing in this many octaves.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to K and KB Build-Off