Positive terminal to ground?

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Hal

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:31 am

Positive terminal to ground?

Still trying to get my KB6 started. Should I ground the positive terminal on the battery? Does the power feed from the light switch to the ignition switch through the pushbutton to the starter solenoid? Wiring has been messed with. Starter works great and I have a good contact with a battery cable on one of the starter mounting bolts. Its hooked up negative ground now and I have six volts everywhere with the key on or off and on both sides of the starter button.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Positive terminal to ground?

That should be a positive ground. How does your ammeter act with it hooked up negative? Others will speak up. Is your ignition switch a simple turn to right to start and then to a central "run" position? Left to turn off? If so, then I believe head lights would gain power in the "run" position, not the ignition gain power through the light circuit. If I am thinking correctly, Power should run from negative to switch in on position,(lights should work) when key is turned to right to start position, power is shunted to that circuit to the starter solenoid. once started, key is released and circuit is again complete for lights, etc.
Again, old memory so, might wait for other more knowledgeable folks to speak up.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:52 am

Crazy as it sounds, the thing will work hooked up either way. Positive or negative ground. People mis-connect these old trucks all the time...as well as throw in a 12V battery without "apparent" harm.
THIS is my main complaint with 6V: folks today don't understand 6V positive ground and that 6V batteries are not just laying around. I work in a shop. 12V batteries ARE laying around...
I'll explain my strategy: It's the "line of least resistance". That just means I use what I have at the time.
I usually have close to zero budget to get an old truck running.
If you have a good 6V battery then CHARGE IT.
Positive ground. You can take this opportunity to run a new
positive ground cable back to engine ground and bypass any number of funky old frame connections. Your starter will love you.
If things have been modified or misconnected before, you can't expect everything or ANYTHING to work.
My final "desperation" phase of getting an old truck started involves temporarily installing a 12V battery and removing the "feed" wire that usually comes of the starter switch or starter that feeds everything else in the truck.
I then make my own ballast resistor/ ignition primary wire to go to coil.
A Standard Motor Products US 100 ignition switch fits right in the hole where the old switch was and has a "start" position to run a electrical starter relay. Like Fords do.
Let us know what happens.
Good jumper cables placed on the 6V battery positive terminal and run to engine ground will approximate what you will gain by adding a new cable.
I've made this all sound difficult. It isn't. Good luck!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Just in case MM post wasn't clear, add a ballast resistor and 12 volt coil that takes a ballast. Don't expect a ballast to make a 6 volt coil a 12 volt one. It will work for a quick test, but for running it long term, fit a 12 volt coil if running 12 volts. If you do otherwise, you will find yourself walking after a coupla hour driveing at high speed, the 6 volt coil overheats a shuts down.

Return to K and KB Build-Off