I've given up on 2 carb manifold, now this

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat May 06, 2017 11:47 am

I've given up on 2 carb manifold, now this

Moving right along with the KB-2.

I've decided to go with a cartridge, non sock oil filter. A fellow teacher is making the needed plates for the top and bottom of the filter. I have a new, slightly stained sock filter for $8 if anyones interested PM me. (live and learn) I used to see a bunch of these socks when rebuilding engines in the 60s - 70s I always HATED them!) My teaching partner (a young wippersnapper) suggested leaving the filter assembly off and tossing it. KIDS!

Removed the coil bracket to install the "new" 12V Delco Ign. coil, one of the **** bolt threads was stripped! I'm at home after going through my tools to find the proper HC installer. I found it! I nice STEEL tool. Not that plastic CRAP they give you in the kit nowadays. I'll be back Monday to finish it off.

Going to run some Marvel Mystery Oil through the intake just as a precaution to get some oil to the valves/guides. After sitting 25+ years........... (The KB-2 not me)

"Keep moving, it's harder for them to start throwing dirt on your bones!"

Marc
1947 KB-2
1952 Morris Minor MM (RHD)
1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL
2000 BMW 528i (240,000 Mi.)
1979 Benelli G2 Moped (39 Mi.)

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat May 06, 2017 11:49 am

Re: I've given up on 2 carb manifold, now this

sorry about the bad word, I'll do better.
1947 KB-2
1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 09, 2017 9:34 pm

Use two "bad words" next time for a balanced sentence.
Here is a new and progressive way to have a by-pass filter system. The spin-on filter replaces the original canister. OK, I know this design is for a Ford Flathead V8, but any spin-on filter adapter can be used as long as the original flow restrictor from IHC is used before the filter assembly. All by-pass systems drain back into the oilpan and not into the pressurised lube system
Attachments
spin on filter modification.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 09, 2017 9:55 pm

IHC designed engines (not the HD GRD which was designed out of house) have the relief valve in the filter adaptor, so that must stay if you are working on one of the IHC designed 6's, doesn't apply to the GRD.
If you adding a newer bypass, forget the spin on filter and go with the "spinner II" centrifugal filter. They do an excellent job at cleaning the oil, and so good that Leyland used them as the OEM filter without a full flow on their city buses. We never lost an engine due to lube problems. As bypass filters go they are king of the hill, in my book.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat May 20, 2017 3:50 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:IHC designed engines (not the HD GRD which was designed out of house) have the relief valve in the filter adaptor, so that must stay if you are working on one of the IHC designed 6's, doesn't apply to the GRD.
If you adding a newer bypass, forget the spin on filter and go with the "spinner II" centrifugal filter. They do an excellent job at cleaning the oil, and so good that Leyland used them as the OEM filter without a full flow on their city buses. We never lost an engine due to lube problems. As bypass filters go they are king of the hill, in my book.

Leyland! I like that!

Morris minor owner.
1947 KB-2
1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL

Return to K and KB Build-Off