Freeze Plug Replacement

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:30 pm

Freeze Plug Replacement

I'm in the process of replacing the freeze plugs, core plugs, whatever you prefer to call them, on my BD 269. After popping the old ones out and in the process of cleaning everything up. I noticed
there was gasket material under the plugs. I have not replaced this type of plug in the past, being a disk and not a cup shape, so have never encountered this anomaly before now. My question, is
this normal?

I must also thank Lbesq for finding and acquiring the motor for me last year and keeping me from putting a less than original engine in my 1946 K7. I was getting rather frustrated and almost put
a Dodge engine in place of the Blue Diamond. Naturally, since then I've come across three running BD 269's.

Lbesq, it was great meeting you and thanks again for the help wrestling that monster into the back of my pickup.

These are so much easier to work on when out of the vehicle.

Thanks again, Peter

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: Freeze Plug Replacement

Always happy to help out a fellow member if I can. As for the plugs, I am not familiar with those, but suspect that they tap in the middle to "expand" just a little. If the cup style will fit, that is what I would use, but that is just me. It always seems to go that way, once you acquire, Finally, What you need, they crawl out of the wood work. I have seen a couple of other folks looking for them also.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:00 pm

You put them in. dome side out, put a little RTV or other sealer around the outer edge of the recess before putting the plug in. Once the plug is in the bore take a large metal rod or bar, place it against the center of the plug, and strike it with a hammer, this will flatten the disk and expand it, locking it in place.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Gentlemen thank you very much for the immediate response. The NAPA store near here has 8 more of these little fellas if anybody needs some I'd be happy to pick them up and ship them where ever
they are needed. I should mention they're 2" diameter. The guy at the counter was thrilled to sell some he thought he'd never get rid of them.

Thanks, Peter

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:31 pm

expansion type plugs are used in many things. end of shift rails in transmissions for one example. Even if Napa doesn't have them, a good industrial supply will have them by size and can be ordered. I wouldn't "stock up" on them, they will always be avaiable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:56 pm

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat May 06, 2017 11:30 am

cornbinder89 wrote:You put them in. dome side out, put a little RTV or other sealer around the outer edge of the recess before putting the plug in. Once the plug is in the bore take a large metal rod or bar, place it against the center of the plug, and strike it with a hammer, this will flatten the disk and expand it, locking it in place.

I just (1 1/2 hours ago) installed a 2" concave "freeze" / core plug in my GRD 214. I got enough to replace all of them but only one really needed to be replaced. A parts store one town over has 46 of them left. If you need some PM me. They were cheap $1.53 for 4 (I actually had one in my BOYD place). Cost to me for plugs and shipping if you are interested.

Marc
1947 KB-2
1952 Morris Minor MM (RHD)
1984 Mercedes Benz 380SL
2000 BMW 528i (240,000 Mi.)
1979 Benelli G2 Moped (39 Mi.)

Return to K and KB Build-Off