K-3 1st build

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:27 am

Re: K-3 1st build

I hope you are going to re-use that bed , I haven't seen that type . That is a lot of progress in a few posts , U ain't messin around !

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:37 pm

manicmechanic wrote:I hope you are going to re-use that bed , I haven't seen that type . That is a lot of progress in a few posts , U ain't messin around !

That bed/box is over 8' feet wide. It's not very pretty but I'll see. I had done some of the prep work in fall and over the winter so when I joined, I already had a head start on the pictures etc.
I got the cab mounted last weekend but it doesn't look any different than blocked or mocked up above. I did get the windshield and hood vent and door latches loosened up.
k3-windshield.jpg
"Free All" works great for loosening seized hinges and threads
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:28 am

I looked at the front view again and that is pretty wide . I myself am thinking of a bed not to exceed the rear wheels which I'm now going to measure , I think they are about 7' if I remember right .That free all , I haven't seen it , where do you live ? Always looking for stuff like that , I have had good results with Kroil , not totally available but I think you can get it on line .

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:13 am

manicmechanic wrote:I looked at the front view again and that is pretty wide . I myself am thinking of a bed not to exceed the rear wheels which I'm now going to measure , I think they are about 7' if I remember right .That free all , I haven't seen it , where do you live ? Always looking for stuff like that , I have had good results with Kroil , not totally available but I think you can get it on line .

The front axle outside tread is 71 1/2" wide on my build. Before I started, I was measuring the rear tread width on the parts truck (assuming it was the same as the front....wrong) and it is about 70" wide. I thought that mine would be fine at 71-72". The outside front tread width on the parts truck I now see is closer to 66"....so yeah, I'm a little wide. This is why I am not a carpenter. :t0129:
My outside rear tread width on the duals is 7 1/2 feet.
RE: the 7'-2" shop built service box, eg: not OEM. After careful deliberation and ignoring neighbors suggestions not to use it all, I decided to cut it down and do a mock up with it lower and narrower. (Pic attached) I had hoped to have the fenders on before posting a picture but that will have to wait.
I bought the Free All from Ace Industrial Supply. I wish I had it when I freed my stuck Oliver 70 engine.
box_cutting2.jpg
Service box modification
box_cutting.jpg
Service box modification
boxside_on_crane.jpg
placing box side on
box_mockup.jpg
Box side in place
Last edited by Binder46 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:47 am

That's the ticket , NICE ! I was thinking that would be my choice but was waiting to see what you did with it , you're doing some great work , that is a very cool truck . Can't wait till you get it on the road .

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks manicmechanic, and everyone else for the encouragement and tips...I'm trying, but it's a long way from being on the road. Things left that I need to do are: steering, brakes, wiring, wipers, driveshaft and trans linkage. (I tested the original rad last weekend and seems good)
Some other nice to do are: new windshield, replace right fender, replace headliner etc etc.
With spring and seeding around the corner, it's probably going to be slow progress for awhile.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:50 am

Binder46 wrote:Things left that I need to do are: steering, brakes, wiring, wipers, driveshaft and trans linkage.

You are almost done. I had brakes, brake lights, exhaust left do do on Thursday and made it to Back to the 50's show on Friday.

I still don't have wipers working.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:20 pm

That reminds me....I still have exhaust to do. And gas pedal/throttle linkage, and trans cooler.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Looks good and you are making plenty of progress. As far as rad although it does not leak may not cool be enough to cool a modern engine.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:48 pm

windigo69 wrote:Looks good and you are making plenty of progress. As far as rad although it does not leak may not cool be enough to cool a modern engine.

Hmmmm ...What would you suggest? There isn't room for anything bigger and the rad mounts seems to help hold everything together.
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB Build-Off