K-3 1st build

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:01 pm

K-3 1st build

Hi...I am new to the site. I enjoy it and am learning a lot from all of you. I am not sure which category this build should be in as I'm not keeping it original, but I'm not chopping or slamming it etc. either. I just want to get it mobile on a more modern chassis using what I already have at my disposal.
The 1941 "Grey Mare" is a dually and has been in the family since 1959. It was my fathers farm truck. Prior to that a trailer manufacturing service truck in Winnipeg, Manitoba. (hence the advertising on the box) In 1966 My dad parked it behind the old shop and it hasn't moved since I pulled it out last summer. (2016)
Prior to this, I had bought a running dual wheel Chev G30 cube van from by brother who was using it for carpentry/construction work but had to retire it for vehicle safety reasons. eg: rust. At the time I just wanted the cube part for storage purposes. One day a light bulb came on and I thought why not use the drive train for the K-3? Later a front end off a 1974 GMC 1ton, that had been cut off a grain truck being converted into a trailer, fell into my lap. Then I purchased some 3/16 thick 2x6 box iron to build the frame.
During this past winter I have been putting it all together, and right or wrong here is what it looks like starting with the vehicles. I hope to start fitting the cab this weekend. March 19, 2017.
Thanksgiving_front text.jpg
Almost finished Oct 2022

Thanksgiving_rear text.jpg
Almost finished Oct 2022

[/attachment]
truck before.jpg
fresh out of the bush
Parts.jpg
parts K-3
before2.jpg
K-3
cab_box_off.jpg
cab and box removed
van_chassis.jpg
Van stripped. not a fun job
Engine_frtclip.jpg
350 SBC w/400TH and 1974 GMC 1 ton front end
frame_building.jpg
building the frame
engine_mezanine.jpg
frame built, engine/trans cleaned up, rear diff on
engine_R_closeup.jpg
ready to try cab out for size
engine in_rear1.jpg
making progress
Attachments
Thanksgiving_front.jpg
The mostly finished project. 7 years later.
Last edited by Binder46 on Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: K-3 1st build

Saving the family truck and using what you've got, nothing wrong with that in my book. Best of luck on your project.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:46 pm

As long as it goes and whoa's and meets safety standards, the sheet metal is decoration. Watching this, something I want to do with my L truck. What is your wheel base?

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:26 am

Ibesq: Yes safety is first, having said that originally I was just planning on putting around the farm, now I'm hoping to register it. Mb has strict safety regulations, so it has to be tip top.
Re:wheelbase. The spec sheet says 130" but mine seems to be 128". The front tread width is 56" on the inside, 64" center to center and 72" outside to outside. The green K-3 truck pictured is about an inch narrower.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:19 pm

I am looking for a frame with usable wheel base of 152". I had one from an L150, but let it go before I decided what I wanted to do with my L112. So on the hunt for usable frame, hopefully something newer like yours to set sheet metal on. Will watch your build with interest.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:57 pm

lbesq wrote:I am looking for a frame with usable wheel base of 152". I had one from an L150, but let it go before I decided what I wanted to do with my L112. So on the hunt for usable frame, hopefully something newer like yours to set sheet metal on. Will watch your build with interest.

I built the frame using 2x6 box iron. 5" would work too. It could easily be built 152" with this material. I did use the front end of a GMC 1 ton as a starting point. Again...I'm not sure if what I'm doing is right or has been done before, but it seems to be going together.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:11 pm

I was able to get the cab on last weekend to see how it fits. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I measured and re measured, things just didn't fit the way I thought. Some better....some worse. It's touching the tranny now. I'm going to cut a hole in the floor and build a tunnel. The front needs to come down 2"....or raise the back?
cab from loader.jpg
cab fromLfrt.jpg
It sits a little high on the front.
cab fromLrear.jpg
2 inch block at the back
cab from mez1.jpg
It's not bad....but I'm going to lower it on the frt.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:40 pm

I like what you are doing. I wish I were allowed to have that shop in Vancouver. I have 865sf and a 10 foot ceiling. My Dad was a green tractor guy. Well..... we did have a 1939 Ford 9N also.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:49 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I like what you are doing. I wish I were allowed to have that shop in Vancouver. I have 865sf and a 10 foot ceiling. My Dad was a green tractor guy. Well..... we did have a 1939 Ford 9N also.

Thanks Nikki...my dad and uncle were all green too. I also have a 4440 and JD air drill. Combine is Case/IH and big tractor is Versatile.
RE: the shop. It's 6 years old and cost a lot of money but a must on a farm. You can see the old shop in background. It's just used for storage now.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:32 am

a shop. what a great thing to have. I have my truck in the small two bay garage with an 8 ft ceiling.
Next

Return to K and KB Build-Off