KB1 1948

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:43 am

Re: KB1 1948

Manic, thanks. I had seen this truck on cl while we were in the process of moving my mother in law to our house from 250 miles away. Just didn't have the time to go see it right away. When we got home I looked and it wasn't there anymore. 2-3 weeks later I see it again on cl but from a different town so I call and make arrangements to go look. Turns out the guy gets diagnosed with ALS right after they buy it so they decide to part with it. Been looking for a couple years and believe this is the best original that I have seen. Have some things to take care of on it so will probably have questions as we progress.
Yesterday I was looking at why no emergency brake. Looked and no cable so now looking for just the cable. Also looked at the shock absorbers and what a hoot!
Have quite a few things to take care of and finding parts will be the hardest part but with OLDIHC it makes it a lot easier.
Thanks for all you guys help.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:07 am

Great story about finding the truck ,it looks like one of the best originals I have seen too . The story/history behind these trucks adds to the sense of bringing them back to life , love it . Apple Hydrolics for shock absorber repair if they need it . Are they on front and back ? I think they do make a difference , I'm liking mine too .

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:07 am

Yes, shocks are on front and back. Plan to take them off and check them out. One is a little wet on top.
Would anyone know where to get a couple fasteners for the grille pieces? Have one piece in the glove box that needs mounted.
Also need a gasket for the oil pan and side gasket for the valve adj. Does Olsen's sell these?
So far the right front brake is not engaging and the left rear is wet on the backside of the backing plate.
Radiator and water pump leak a little bit.

Having fun on the '48.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:49 am

Restoration Specialities has the grille clips, get a few extra as the quality is a little less than original, I broke a few when I did mine tweaking them to fit, but that is all that is out there that I'm aware of. There are sellers on e-bay but they look the same in quality. Probably all come from the same place anyway. The bigger strips are held on with 10/32 elevator style bolts, never found a source so I made a bunch myself. Olsen's has the pan gasket, a good quality piece. I just put one on mine, Not sure about the side gaskets but I'd bet they have those too. Great company to deal with. Just my opinion, I would do a complete brake overhaul, would hate to see that nice survivor get damaged because of a failure. Wheel and master cylinders are available, rubber hoses too. Check the "parts" thread for numbers and contacts. New steel lines can be had easily down at the corner parts house. If your lining is bad , you'll probably have to get your shoes re-lined . There are shops out there that still do it. If you are noticing leaks, its time to re-do it anyway. The radiator should get serviced too, I'm not a fan of stop-leak. You may get lucky and the water pump seal might "heal" itself with use, but I was never that fortunate and a rebuild may be necessary. I believe those companies are listed in the "parts" section too. Good luck, It will be worth it !

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:14 pm

I was just on their site a bit earlier today. they are in a pack of 100 for $90. http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:23 pm

Hey guys, Thanks and Happy New Year! McGiver, you inspire me with your truck! Always need someone to set the example for me. Not that I'm planning to strip mine down but want it to look good.
Thanks for the letting me know about the places to get stuff.
Dave

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks and Happy New Year to you too. Glad to help.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Grandson came over and we marked the tire and driveshaft. Rolled the tire around one turn and the driveshaft went around 4 times plus about 1/2 of a quarter turn. So would think 4.11 rear end.
Thanks for your guys help. Be glad when it warms up.
Got a lead on an oil filter and brake cable, which was missing.
Dave

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:10 am

My dad had an International pickup when I was a little fellow on the farm. Can remember we had to haul water from the spring at the bottom of the hill up to the house. Had all the wash boilers, tubs, etc filled with water and by the time we got to the house they were about half full! I can remember the tubs in the bed of the truck but not the truck itself. I did find a pic of the front of the truck. Wish I had a better picture of the whole truck.
Dave
Attachments
Bill David 1946.jpg

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Quick update. Got the seat recovered. Found some original fabrick and tried to get same green color.
Pulled radiator and water pump. Had radiator boiled out. Have new water pump ready to put on.
Popped a couple freeze plugs out to flush the block.
Took floorboards out. Had some holes so am having a buddy cut out bad and put some new in its place.
Hope to start putting some things back together soon!
Dave
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB Build-Off