KB1 1948

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:43 pm

KB1 1948

I'm in the process of purchasing a KB1 which has a few issues and would like some advice. Looks like the windshield, both sides need replacing, the rubber around the windows has cracked pretty bad as has the rubber grommet around the gas filler tube. Where do I get these parts?
Also there are a couple places where the paint has come off and is a little rusty. I want to keep original but is there something that can be done to cover the rusty spots and match the original paint or should they be left alone and put some preserative on them????

Also there is no name on the tail gate indicating "INTERNATIONAL" but on one piece where the hook is an IHC logo. Is this an International tail gate. Seems like the KNOX tail gates have KNOX on them??

Thanks for any help
Dave
Attachments
DSC04627.JPG

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: KB1 1948

Pat, a couple of quick replies, others will chime in I am sure. Glass is flat, someone probably has a paper pattern if your glass guy can not figure it out. Try restoration specialties: http://www.restorationspecialties.com/ for your rubber needs, as stated others may have better info. Do your best to neutralize the rust to keep it from spreading. Check out this paint chart for a match for your color: http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedi ... aint+Codes this is only one chart, there might be others. Your color is probably the Dark green that has faded over the years, look in some out of the way spots to confirm this. A good auto paint store should be to match the current hue, but keep in mind, it will not match later on. Others will speak to the tail gate, but a good picture of it will help.

Those are my thoughts on your issues.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Very nice truck,,looks like its rarely seen daylight. Windshield frame has to be disassembled to replace glass so I would strip frame completely to bare metal, neutralize/remove rust and repaint in satin black...The rubber gasket on frame is often hiding severe rust however in your case not likely...

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:18 am

Thanks Ibesq and Wind. Will the same thing need to be done to the back window. I don't remember other than the rubber seems to be shot all around. Will post another pic that has an International tag on the back of the bed drivers side. Appears that the bed is International but the tail gate I thought should say International.
Attachments
DSC04624.JPG

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:21 am

Here is back of bed.
Attachments
DSC04621.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:27 am

The back window rubber is a easy replacement. Might be a bit of cleanup around the frame. The rear window gasket is also available from Restoration Specialties. Cant help you on tailgate,,never had one. I do have the same tag on two of my beds.

Don't let back window glass fall inside cab when removing rubber as I know the fate of such.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:54 am

I don't think the tail gate on the KB's had anything on them with the IH bed, only on the Knox bed did it have Knox. I have the same bed on my yellow 48 KB-2. My red 48 KB-2 has the Knox bed.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:36 pm

I have a 49 kB1 with original bed and tailgate. there is no script on the tailgate.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Bill, nice looking truck! Resto thanks. Really thought it was an International bed, but nice to hear from the experts. Will probably have more questions when it gets home. Thanks again.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:33 pm

Reading a book about Internationals and appears they used 3 different rear ends. Apparently 4.11 was the standard, but how do I identify what it actually is?
Thanks for you guys help. Hope to get it home soon.
Dave
Next

Return to K and KB Build-Off