KB1 1948

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Re: KB1 1948

Here is a pic of the "Triangle " in front of the rear fender. Also the hub caps were probably painted, at least I can't find any chrome on them. Would they have been green to match the truck color or some other color to set them off from the rest of the truck?
Attachments
DSC04648.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:14 pm

http://brauchauto.com/images/46ih.jpg
I have also see these hubcaps in a cream colour.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:38 pm

I 've only seen a few painted hubcaps and those, in my opinion, were painted by previous owners. I could only find two different part numbers for hubcaps, and their were no descriptions given other than "caps". Perhaps their was a painted and chrome version. but most all I've seen were chrome, with black or red striping, and maybe that is the difference in the two numbers. That is the first step I've seen, and again I'd vote for it being fab'd by a crafty previous owner; the welds are a little less than industry standard but it is a practical piece. There are bunch of listings in the parts book for under-the -bed spare tire carriers, not sure though if they were standard equipment or an option. My '49 has the under-bed bracketry, but the spare is mounted ahead of the drivers side fender on the side of the box. I was unable to find the side mount carrier bracket in the parts book, though. Anyone else have some thoughts?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:46 pm

my 49 KB1 had a under the bed spare tire carrier. I have removed it and the cross member it attached to. I saw no need to have it with I plan to do with my truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:59 am

That step definitely looks home made. Yet very practical, but as said, the welds are the dead give-away as is the mounting hardware. Factory wouldn't have welded part to the bed and used bolts. In the entry where you first asked about the triangle, you said they were in front of the rear bumper and in the entry above you indicate they are in front of the fender - as it appears from the gravel shield on the fender in the photo. K/KB running boards typically don't extend far enough to reach the rear fenders (as they do on L, R, S models) and filling in that gap with these triangles is a good idea for helping to get into the bed from that angle.
It occurred to me that if your hub caps had been chrome at one time, there should still be unpolished chrome on the inside. Can't chrome plate the hub cap without dipping them and the interior would show the remnants of the chroming process. Painted hub caps should have paint inside, as well, I would think. If the hub caps were one time chrome and then painted, I would think investigating the interior some should tell the tale of what happened.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:43 pm

WEW, yes I made a mistake about location of the triangle.
I took the hub caps off and ran them on polishing wheel. Appears there is a metal skin over the steel hub cap. The diamond logo was imprinted on the base hub so wonder if they put the skin on and then stamped the logo??? They polished up and looked like chrome.

Noticed on an online manual that the recommended oil was 40 wt and for cooler temps 20 wt. What do you all use for oil? Any place you know of to get an oil filter?

Thanks for your responses. This is my first "OLD" International so a lot of questions. Don't think mine will be as nice as yours. Want to keep as original as possible.
Dave

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:52 pm

I thought the metal on the step was similar pattern to Knox box tin. Homemade but good idea as well as offering support to rear fender. Welds could be buffed.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Believe I had read some talking about an oil filter. Got underneath and looked and couldn't find what I would consider an oil filter. In an online owners manual it talks about cleaning a "sump". Would like to change oil, etc but need to figure out what to do before getting started.
Also is 10w30 oil ok to use?
Thanks for any help.
Dave

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:24 pm

10/30 is likely better than any oil this truck used. I like 15/40 because it is slightly heavier and 15/40 is very compatible with the flat face tappets (AKA cam followers or lifters)
Mentioning oil will bring out many opinions on lubricants.
A detergent oil does not mean that it contains soap. Google what this means for a better understanding.
Your truck engine may not have an oil filter. If it does, it will not look like a modern spin-off. Someone else will have better filter information than I.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:08 pm

The oil filter on an international 214 resides on the drivers side of the motor, it should be located toward the top of the motor and towards the fire wall. It would be round and about 8" tall and have either a nut or t-handle on the lid. This type of filter can have crud built up on the bottom of the canister. It would also be a good Idea to drop the oil pan and clean it fully. Gaskets can be had for these motors, there are a couple of places. Do not forget to check the "parts" thread located at the top of the KB section, the info you seek might be there.
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB Build-Off