KB1 1948

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Re: KB1 1948

this seems to be an acceptable method .
http://www.geeksoncars.com/how_7935056_ ... ratio.html

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Then that is the method you should use. If the brake on one axle is dragging and that wheel rotation does not match the other, .........

https://youtu.be/i4Gc2mszw8k
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:49 am

I'm going to try both ways when the truck gets here. Will post results. There was a problem with the title having a wrong digit and had to get fixed. Waiting for the title to arrive before I pick it up.
Thanks for all the responses.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:04 pm

title issues can be hassle. hope you get is squared away with minimal trouble.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Brought home yesterday. Stoped by the car wash and gave it a wax job when got home. Took it for a spin this evening. Brakes are not the best. 113" wheel base and 78" bed. What to do with the rust spots is the question now. Also might need a couple hub caps.
Attachments
DSC04646.JPG
DSC04647.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:02 pm

nice looking truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:51 am

That's a really nice survivor! Too bad the bumper's been broken and re-welded, but there's always some scars from a life lived. Good find!
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks guys. There are a few spots with the paint - rusty spots. Not sure what to do with them. Don't want to make it look like a Dalmatian but want to preserve it as best as I can.
It looks like the hub caps were painted. Was that something IH did? If so what color did they get painted?
There is also a "step" in front of the rear bumpers (a triangle if you will). Was that something IH did at the factory? It has no spare tire holder on the side of the bed. Should it have a spare tire carrier under the bed?

This is my first IH since the 1979 Traveller.
I do have a 1 3/4 Mogul, 6 hp Famous and a 1 1/2 IH. I'm basically a stationary engine guy.
Thanks for your responses.
Dave

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:55 pm

The truck looks great polished up. A big improvement over your early pics. I would not hesitate to get some paint mixed up( finding colour match on shelf is unlikely and close doesn't cut it) and prepare rust spots and blow some paint in.. May want to wait a week or so to let paint harden before buffing to blend in..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:27 am

Pat Raines wrote:It looks like the hub caps were painted. Was that something IH did? If so what color did they get painted?
There is also a "step" in front of the rear bumpers (a triangle if you will). Was that something IH did at the factory? It has no spare tire holder on the side of the bed. Should it have a spare tire carrier under the bed?

Not having a K or KB model, I can only reflect what I have learned (I think) from this forum.
Hubcaps: someone else will need to verify that.
Step in front of the r. bumper: Photo(s) would help see what you're talking about, but my initial impression is it was added after it left the factory. Factory rear bumpers were, at that time, a "luxury" item. As far as I know, the factory rear bumper was a repeat of the front bumper (frugal times). If your bumper looks like the front, it's likely a factory unit. If it looks different, probably not factory.
Spare tire bracket: I recall other commenters saying there was an optional under bed spare tire carrier. I've seen photos of K/KB's with and without a side mounted spare tire carrier. I even think I recall someone talking about an in bed carrier mounted in the front left of the bed, behind the driver. If your bed doesn't have holes showing where it was located, then perhaps yours' is one of the trucks that didn't bring home a spare tire from the factory. But then again, a previous owner may have had the holes closed up, too, and the carrier trashed. Of the short wheel base (short bed) trucks the spare, most of the time, was mounted outside the bed, left side, behind the driver with a sizeable divot carved out of the fender to accommodate that placement. Long wheel base trucks with the long bed, usually, had the spare tire on the passenger side of the bed (outside) and the longer dimensions did not necessitate a divot in the fender. Your truck, being of the short bed (short wheel base) variety and no divot in the left rear fender, assuming everything about the bed/fenders is factory original (and no holes), I would say there never was a spare tire carrier or it has been removed, for some reason, from under the bed.

A forum member - Robert48 - used to be the "go to guy" for all things K/KB. Health reasons prevent him from participating now on the forum. We miss him and the fountain of knowledge he possessed.
Please allow other forum members to add and subtract from what I've written here, as I certainly am not an expert.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB Build-Off