KB1 1948

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: KB1 1948

Here is a pic of new seat covers. Didn't notice they had dust on them until I saw the pic.
Attachments
DSC04705.JPG

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi Pat,

Great find. Thank you for posting the pictures of the tail gate. The tail gate on my "restored" 46 K2 is not right. Not sure how to fix it. I do not think it is original, I think the "restorer" had it made. The hook holes do not line up. Now I see how it is supposed to be. In the pictures notice my set screws are under the upper roll. Yours are on top. I removed the set screws and tried to remove the end pieces to turn them around but I guess they are spot welded someplace in the roll. What is a knox tailgate?
When I bought this last month the only thing holding the tailgate closed was two pieces of bailing wire. I have been trying to figure out a fix. Also there is a 3/4 inch gap at the hinge to bed.
Now I also see what the two threaded holes are for on the left rear side of the bed. My stop light is in the wrong place. I will make a bracket and move it with the plate.
Oh, on your welded front bumper, I have the same problem but there is a bracket over it with a different license plate covering the weld. So I bought a custom plate to cover the weld.
Hope you do not mind I saved your pictures.

Thank you,

Stephen
Attachments
IMG_5727.JPG
IMG_5726.JPG
IMG_5725.JPG
IMG_5728.JPG
IMG_5729.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:27 pm

Stephen, The bed and tail gate are from Knox, they made beds for IH after the war. Your bottom hinge should be moved 3/4" closer to the bed so that the flange of the gate touches the bed evenly from top to bottom, then your holes on the top will line up for the hook to fit correctly. Knox's claim to fame was that their beds would not spill any grain, so there should not be any gaps anywhere in the bed. I can see in your photos that your bed is an IH made bed by the ribs in the sidewalls. My red truck has the Knox bed and my yellow truck has the IH bed.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:52 pm

Stephen, I just saw in the L,R and S forum the reason your tailgate hook holes don't line up, the ears in the top rail of your tail gate look like they are from an L series truck, not a KB.
download/file.php?id=9224&mode=view
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Thank you Bill!
Now a that is a good possibility. I am 4th owner and supposedly this was restored in 2000. I sure have run into a lot of issues with the restore but working them out. I am told this was bought as a fire truck for the local airport in 1946, still waiting for some documentation.
You sure have some sweet rides. Very impressive.
Thanks again for the input, I think for now I will just make some 1/4 inch hooks that will keep the TG closed. Working on the tail light now, Murphy beat me to it so now I have to figure out how to make it work. Among a bunch of other things.
Stephen
Previous

Return to K and KB Build-Off