My KB3 Arrived Today!

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:18 am

Re: My KB3 Arrived Today!

The original sender should be screwed to the tank. use some penetrating fluid on one of the screws you mentioned,remove it,use a wire with the correct washer-type connector,(just large enough for the screw to pass through,to insure positive connection),and connect it to a good ground. I would never drill into a gas tank,for #1:Sparks,plus Fumes = BOOM ! Out-Of Control Flames SUCK!! #2: even though your tank may have a pick-up screen,even the smallest particles of metal passing through,may cause damage to your fuel pump,carburetor,or worse,your engine!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:24 pm

One nice tuck. Puts a grin on your chin don't it 8-)

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:19 pm

Dear Bill,

Took my sending unit apart and re-glued my copper sending wire. It did not look like it was detached but when I gently touched the old glue, it just flaked off. So JB Weld Quick-Glue and then ran a wire from one of the sending units 6 screws to where the positive battery ground strap attached to the frame and bingo, the gauge works! So, I don't know which "fix" fixed it, but who cares! Now, I'm going to try to attach the ground wires from the back lights and turning signals to another ground wire to the battery to see if I can get them to fire better.

Thanks so much for your help!
Bruce

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:46 pm

Great News!! my 2-ton had a hoist,and near the hinge point,there was a large,(like braided battery ground strap),attached to the flatbed frame. it was encased in an oilcloth tube,and the other end was attached to the rear (about the area of the rear spring shackle),of the truck frame. This will help insure your "box" lights are grounded,since most of the truck frame may be resting on a wood "cushion". You'd want a good heavy-duty cable for a frame ground,and the shorter,the better. If you have a hoist,just make sure your cable is long enough,(or placed far back enough), to allow for "Tilt". Hope this helps.
Previous

Return to K and KB Build-Off