What to do.

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 pm

What to do.

image.jpg

Hello to all. I recently inherited I think it a 48 KB2 from my dad. It's been sitting on the farm for the past 40 or so years and decided I should do something with it. The only problem i'am having is deciding what that is. I initially thought I would rat rod it, I like the color orange with the rust color, just my preference and can't afford the picture perfect body and paint job! I would like to know what everyone thinks, mustang front clip or original straight axle? How to lower it if possible and any other suggestions you guys may have. I couldn't believe the amount of parts you can still get for this truck, and wildbillman with his disc brake conversion, awesome.

I will see about adding pics right away, may help you guys with what direction I should go with.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:54 pm

Re: What to do.

This is the one with the stock front axle and disc brake conversion.
This one is bagged with an IFS and a 4 bar rear.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Forgot to say love the patina.
Bill
South Amherst, Ohio

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 pm

I stole a phrase or something like this from another forum: "Make it stop real good, make it go real good, then make it purdy"

I'd be proud to drive that one around after the first two!! That's my opinion.

Bud

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:41 pm

This question comes up fairly often. Does the engine turn free? Does it run? If it can brought to safe driving condition without a major investment, do it. Then drive it and contemplate what you will use it for. Parades or shows? Hauling? Daily driver? This will help you decide.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Thank you all for the great responses guys! I liked that phrase, make it stop fast, make it go fast then make it prudy. The direction i'am going is a fatman fab front end with bags that way I get the best of both worlds, great brakes and handling. Also would like to put my 351C with a 5 speed, I would have stuck with the original but the block is cracked and tossed years ago.

One question left for now is do I clear coat it or just leave the patina the way it was intended to be?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Dean, the intent is to use it as a daily driver during the summer, as often as possible but limited by the weather here in the north! The one thing i'am trying to avoid is being worried about scratches and all that, I have a nice old car that never leaves my garage just for the reason.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 pm

For the air bags get the 4 way valve that sets each bag separate, you get less body roll in the corners. When you T an axle together with only 2 valves, The air in the outside bag of a turn goes to the inside bag like right now and she will roll over like an ocean liner. I have the 4 way valve now after having the 2 way, been there did it, I then added sway bars front and rear so she will carve a corner now.
Bill
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:22 pm

Oh, I myself don't like the clear coat over patina, I think it ruins the look. Just my opinion.
Bill
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:56 am

You can put a flat clear over but I don't see the point as the aging process is not going to change a whole lot more than what has already occurred over the past 70 years. Upgrades are all a matter of taste and budget. A Fatman ifs will drop your front end quite low. That is what is in my truck. I think the stock brakes are suitable,,its the steering control of these old trucks that I am not a fan of...fine around town but not out on the big road at warp speed.
Next

Return to K and KB Build-Off