1947 KBS 6

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:28 pm

1947 KBS 6

Thank you all for welcoming me to the forum! Oldihc appears to be a great resource for getting the old truck back on the road. I thought I would start a build thread as per your advice. I still type with one finger and just learned how to attach photos. I don't expect I will get much time to work on the truck until fall as summer brings so many other projects. I plan on researching the truck mechanicals and possible parts sources whenever I get a chance. So far I have bought manuals from Binderbooks, picked up a new battery and applied for a title transfer and collector license plates. The cash flow begins! My truck looks much better in the pictures than it does up close, but then it is 67 years old. When I inspected my truck prior to buying it I brought coveralls, flashlights, rags, hand cleaner, gloves, and a magnet. I spent two and a half hours crawling under, over, around and through the old KBS. I started out by looking underneath the back of the truck and worked my way forward. I wanted to see the ugly stuff first before I crawled into the cab and fell in love with it. The battery and gas tank were shot. With the aid of a fork truck battery and a plastic gas can, I was able to see the truck run and move under its own power, but just barely. I was able to get the truck started last week and made a quick trip around the yard. Lots of hose and gasket leaks, no surprises there! I plan on replacing hoses and gaskets when I get a chance and going through the carburetor. The exhaust gasket is bad. Are exhaust gaskets available for a BLD 250 or do you guys make your own, If so what type of gasket material and thickness do you use? The exhaust manifold bolts look like they would much rather break than come out, any advice before I try pulling off the manifold? My truck is titled as a 1947 model. My VIN number is BLD25033242. From the serial number list I have seen at the Wisconsin Historical Society I read it as a 1948. Any thoughts on this? Thank you all in advance for taking time to answer my many questions. Any advice and parts resources will be greatly appreciated! Today I spoke on the phone with a 89 year old gentleman who drove the truck when it was new, but that's a whole another story in itself. Especially for a guy like me who types with one finger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: 1947 KBS 6

Exaust manifold gaskets ? available , probably Tom Underwood , parts of the past 785 7495231 . Manifold bolts stuck ? I'd use Kroil , Others use other stuff but I believe in Kroil Its like PB blaster on steroids ,Toms got a lot of stuff and prices are great but better hurry he said hes getting out some time in the near future , when ever it will be to soon . I'm doing a KBS 6 myself its been a great time especialy the guys you meet in the prosess , part of our heritage always nice to meet and talk with them . Ive talked to both the Swenson brothers members of the family that bought my truck in 48 , still have them on my speed dial . Those pine trees make me think that you are a little to far for a visit but if you ever make it to Virginia give me a shout

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:19 pm

The number, BLD25033242, is the engine serial #, to find out the year you will need the chassis # which starts with KBS6 xxxxx. It is stamped into the frame on the driver's side just behind the front spring perch of the front spring. That # is what you would look up at the Wisconsin Historical Society. If you are lucky to have the data plate, it is also on there.
Great looking truck, you have a great starting point with your truck.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:30 pm

Thanks Wildmanbill! I was confused because BLD25033242 was listed as the VIN number on the title.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:09 am

If your engine is still the original, some states/areas did title by engine number. As stated in another thread, go to the wisconsin historical web site and print out the page that shows your chassis number for that year. Then go to the DMV and see if they will change the title to reflect the Chassis number. The argument would be that you might need to change the engine, but the chassis stays the same. Just my thoughts.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:33 am

I just applied for a new title last week. It takes our DMV about two months to issue a new title. The out of state title issued in 1976 confused them enough. I think me wanting to change VIN numbers at that time might have been a deal breaker. I might consider changing it later once I get all my serial numbers sorted out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 pm

I would not worry about it if you get your title with the engine number. One of my 48 KB-2's has the engine serial as the title vin, even with out that engine being in it. The main thing is it's on the data plate if the police want to check it.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:14 pm

I agree. once you have a good title let it stay.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Time to post an update. I bought another 1947 KBS 6 for a parts truck this summer. The parts truck came with a disassembled BLD 269 and some NOS parts: gasket sets, bearings,oil filters, etc. So far, I planning on using the gas tank, carburetor, exhaust manifold and cab floor panel from the parts truck. I removed the 12' steel flatbed from the project truck and moved it into the heated side of my shed a couple of weeks ago. For now. the plan is: make it run, make it move, make it stop, make it pretty. 1st photo parts truck, 2nd photo BLD 269 and BLD 250 manifoldsImage[/URL[URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/47KBS6/media/IMG_0332_zps44a7c05b.jpg.html]Image

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Too cold to work outside! It's time to start working on exhaust and coolant leaksImage[/URL[URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/47KBS6/media/IMG_0357_zps051f76c3.jpg.html]Image
Next

Return to K and KB Build-Off