My 1949 KB-1

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat May 13, 2017 8:44 pm

Re: My 1949 KB-1

One thing I used as an additional storage tank for air is an old electric water heater. Most times these are replaced because they built up calcium and shorted out the lower element. Almost always these tanks are not rusted through. Once stripped down to the steel tank, you need to clean out all, or as much as possible of the calcium. Once done, and dry inside, then you can plumb for air input and output, and appropriate filters. your pancake or two tank compressor will take a bit of time to fill all tanks to pressure shut off. Your pressure start and stop points do not change but capacity is vastly improved.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 14, 2017 7:59 pm

I spray everything through a 1.4 tip, never really had any issues. I would think if you used the 1.8 and ran low on air you could just wait for it to build up. Primer coats aren't as critical for flow out and uniformity as is the color/clear coats are. Or, do a fender, wait,check your pressure, move to the next. Sometimes I'll add a touch more reducer to the epoxy to flow it through the 1.4 tip, especially if the temp is a bit cooler. Extra storage helps too.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 15, 2017 11:24 am

Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:35 pm

I suppose you are never "done" with a project vehicle but I feel I'm finally at the end of that long road for now. Summit supplied the 700-16 "s B.F. Goodrich's along with new tubes and trim rings, Restoration Specialties sent me my new re-pop hubcaps. I stripped my wheels and shot them in Adirondack green, then mounted the new treads and Voila! Done. 3 years and 2 months, start to finish. I'd like to thank all of you for the kind words and inspiration along the way. I certainly enjoyed sharing my build with you. Gonna hit a show this weekend, it's time to go out and enjoy my new ride.
Attachments
IMG_9865.JPG
IMG_4179-001.JPG
Then . . .
IMG_4179-001.JPG (22.73 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
20170703_180406.jpg
And now. . . .
IMG_9871.JPG
Cooper loves the co-pilot seat
IMG_9874.JPG
IMG_9875.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Absolutely beautiful. My wife likes it and like Mikey, she doe not like anything.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Ha! She only says that to keep you on your toes! Thank you very much to the both of you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:26 pm

lbesq wrote:One thing I used as an additional storage tank for air is an old electric water heater. Most times these are replaced because they built up calcium and shorted out the lower element. Almost always these tanks are not rusted through. Once stripped down to the steel tank, you need to clean out all, or as much as possible of the calcium. Once done, and dry inside, then you can plumb for air input and output, and appropriate filters. your pancake or two tank compressor will take a bit of time to fill all tanks to pressure shut off. Your pressure start and stop points do not change but capacity is vastly improved.

I would not recommend doing this with a water heater. Most of these water tanks are glass lined and from the many that I have changed over 39 years of doing building maintenance they usually fail because of the glass failing inside and causing the tank to rust.

Also just because you have another storage tank does not mean your compressor will keep up with the added tank storage. We have this same problem at work right now in our laundry, the supervisor before me thought he was were doing good by buying a cheaper air compressor and adding an additional storage tank but now the air compressor runs continuously all day for 16 hours and never shuts off.Your better to buy the right compressor for what you want to do.

Just my opinion
1956 S-102 Short Bed BD240

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Old water heater tanks are dangerous. I agree with all of the reasons Ksever gave. When an old and full of water, water tank splits it leaks. When the water is replaced with air or steam, and the tank fails, the explosion can take down a house. Myth Busters did a segment on this exploding water tank event . It is on You Tube.
Respect pressurized air. It can kill.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:51 pm

I will concede your points, except most water tanks that I have run across around my area "fail" because the bottom element is covered in calcium and no longer heats water adequately. Not unusual for a heater to go out Just over the warranty, and it is cheaper for most to put another one in. NOT a hard thing to do, and legal where I live for the home owner. Read the stats on the tank for its rated pressure, and of course you should never exceed or get anywhere near the max pressure. most compressors are regulated to shut off at around 120psi. If you have a large volume tank and a low volume consuming tool, your compressor will not run constantly. If you are using constant air, of course a small compressor will never "keep up". Should you buy a larger compressor, of course, if you can afford it, do so. If things are not legal where you live, then do not do them. If you are concerned, then go for the new item. Common sense. As for myth busters, at what pressure did the tank explode? Also, it is a different equation when you have heat and water to steam. Can you rupture a tank rated at 300 psi, of course if you put too much pressure into it.
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB Build-Off