My 1949 KB-1

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Re: My 1949 KB-1

Thanks oneeye, I got all my rubber products from Restoration Specialities, 8one4 four6seven nine8four2. I was happy with their service, as well as their products.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:17 pm

I finished up the wiring harness installation except for the wiring to the box. I bought my harness from Rhode Island Wiring and was very happy with the quality. They labeled each wire using the same code as IH; so between the schematics that they supplied and the circuit diagram in the service manual, installation was a piece of cake. For a slight up-charge they included the turn signal wiring and fog light wiring in the main harness, as per my request. This made a neat and clean installation for these extras. Like many of you, I modified the existing parking lights to double as turn signals. I added a master cut-off switch under the driver's side of the seat. I didn't care for the way the heater switch hung from the bottom of the dash (although that's how it was originally mounted) so I fab'd a switchplate to house the heater and fog light switches, as well as a place to mount a neat NOS oil temperature gauge that I spotted at a truck show. The manufacture date on the back of the gauge is/was February 14, 1945... so it would be 'period' correct. Certainly not necessary but I think a cool piece.. I just have to weld a bung in the oil pan to accommodate the sensor. I'll do that soon when I replace my dried out oil pan gasket, thanks to the boys at Olsen Gaskets.
Attachments
IMG_9257.jpg
Power to the People!
IMG_9261.jpg
Master Switch
IMG_9252.jpg
Switchplate

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:40 pm

Anther genius home run.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:16 am

Very nice workmanship. I appreciate your attention to detail and your sense of what looks 'right'.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:44 am

Aww, thanks guys but right back at you 'cuz if you didn't have the same appreciation and "eye" you wouldn't notice in the first place. I'm having a blast bringing the truck back, not only cosmetically, but functionally as well. For me, if its there, it has to work too.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Man,THAT'S SWEET! Does your new wiring harness have a fuse panel? Did you have to crimp/solder your connections,or was it pre-assembled? either way VERY REASONABLE PRICES!! Thanks for sharing!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:55 am

No Bill, no fuse panel. The harness mimics original by using fuse holders (glass fuses) wherever they were placed by the factory. All the appropriate ends were already soldered to the cloth covered vinyl encased wire which was the proper color, gauge, correct tracer patterns, etc. (at least I found no discrepancies when I compared them to the circuit diagram in the service manual). The harness was wrapped with tape and asphalt/cloth loom used where applicable.All wires are numbered (though one was incorrectly tagged, the oil pressure sender). I also had to "adjust" the loom to cover the wires under the headlight bucket wire clips at the front junction block, as they were placed a little short of the clips. I bought extra male and female butt connectors for the turn and fog light wires I elected to have pre-installed and I soldered those, no crimping used.They also supplied schematics with diagrams and instructions of all connections. Overall I was very happy with the outcome.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:10 pm

Got a chance to do a bit more work.. prepped the windshield frame and bumper for re-chroming. My bumper filler panels were pretty much toast so I elected to make new ones out of quarter inch aluminum plate. I felt this would make a sturdier platform for my fog lights anyway.. The originals I've seen for sale lately weren't much better than mine, so.. I made these.
Attachments
IMG_9265.jpg
Waiting for chrome.. I hope.
IMG_9263.jpg
Painted Panels
IMG_9267.jpg
Had to have some bling

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:01 pm

I have a new in the original boxes set of those fog lights, in 6 volt.. I bought them at a long gone store called Western Accessories in New Westminster. They were $5 for the pair on the discount table. I will never probably use them, I have had the set for35 years. Pictures tomorrow.
BTW, I really like the look of your truck. Absolutely fantastic workmanship and the colour choice.................. unbelievable.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:04 pm

" I really like the look of your truck. Absolutely fantastic workmanship and the colour choice.................. unbelievable."[/quote]" Negative ?? Nancy):Ditto"!! Beautiful,Just Beautiful!
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB Build-Off