My 1949 KB-1

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Re: My 1949 KB-1

I appreciate it , Jesse. No worries, make your gate however you want and is best for you. Funny, I was looking at those script emblems too, but my gate had two 1/2" holes from a previous owner and I didn't think the thin lines would cover the holes so. . . By the way,your truck is "killer" as well, those coyotes have such an awesome exhaust note.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Thank you very much. I actually did a mock up build on my truck four years ago and was going to run it for 30 days before I tore it down to do the body and paint. I liked driving the truck so much, I never took it back apart. LOL Trucks like yours definitely get me wanting to finish mine though. Plus, I can't stand how strangers don't mind touching an unpainted project. Bad car etiquette.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:37 pm

Toughie Feely doesn't change with new paint. My friend had badly mannered kids get in his 1937 Ford. The unwashed parents defended their kids.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:36 pm

As a part time body and paint guy, I truly don't react well to that. Some people....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm the opposite. I find it amusing seeing folks slyly touch the truck to see if it feels like it looks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:12 am

I'm in the process of repairing rear fenders and will get to front fenders at some point. I plan on painting them myself ( a first for me ). Two questions that may seem petty : 1) rear fender welt- body color or fender color? 2) what did you use to separate the gap between the front fender and the upper sheet metal while painting?

Thanks ,
Bob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:27 pm

I left the fenderwelt natural, since it was a soft rubber, I didn't think paint would stick for very long, if ever. It would probably just flake off, especially when bending it around the fender, so I just left it unpainted black. As far as the joint between the fender and upper sheet metal, I sprayed a liberal coat of Loctite Rust converter in the joint after using a razor blade and compressed air to clean out the dirt as good as I could, then epoxy primed, 2K primed, sealer then paint. I just masked between the two colors. I know others have drilled out the spot welds and painted the pieces separately then rejoined them. Probably the way to go but I didn't go that route.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 11, 2017 7:01 am

Mac, I can't say enough about your dedication to detail . The truck is absolutely beautiful ! Getting closer to painting my rear fenders ( prep should be complete next week ). I only have a twin tank, air gun compressor. Your paint job looks great and I would welcome your opinion as to whether or not it is possible for me to use my compressor for the fenders ?

Thanks, BK

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 11, 2017 8:41 am

Based on my experience with your style of compressor, I'd say yes, but it depends on the CFM output of the compressor, and the CFM consumption of the spray gun you are going to use. You don't have a ton of storage with the twin tanks but it may be enough to overcome a small shortfall in output, especially because you don't typically have your finger on the trigger 100% of the time. You could do a mock spray trial and simulate shooting the fenders to see if you lose pressure at the gun. The bigger concern IMO is filtering of the air. Just about all of my fails were the result of water and oil (especially oil) contamination. I use an air hose that only is for spraying paint, not a daily hose that may contain contaminates. Several traps are in line, but my best investment was a desiccant style filter. I also put one of those mini desiccant line filters on the gun.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 12, 2017 6:35 am

Mac; Thanks for your input. Kind of along my way of thinking as well. The trial spray is a great idea. I have a hose that I barely used due to it becoming stiff during cooler weather so I'm thinking of making a couple of vertical loops ( 5,6 feet), mounting it on a wall and putting in-line water filters at the bottom of th loops. If I can find one budget friendly enough, I may try a remote storage tank.

One of my biggest concerns is the amount of cfm I'll lose when spraying the epoxy primer as the supply shop suggested I use a 1.8 nozzle. The color, he suggested needs only a 1.4.

BK
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB Build-Off