My 1949 KB-1

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Re: My 1949 KB-1

I'm no wiz Bob, but thanks. They make it look easy, but it definitely takes practice. Knowing what "moves" to make in order to get the wanted shape is key. More than once it happened by accident, not expertise! U-tube videos by Covell, Lazze were very helpful, but I got the most out of the ones from Phillips Hot Rods /Eastwood Products. Glad I tried it, learned alot. Need help? It snowed 7" here today, high winds and temp is now 11 F. You're in Georgia ? How's tomorrow sound?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:20 pm

MACGIVER wrote:I'm no wiz Bob, but thanks. They make it look easy, but it definitely takes practice. Knowing what "moves" to make in order to get the wanted shape is key. More than once it happened by accident, not expertise! U-tube videos by Covell, Lazze were very helpful, but I got the most out of the ones from Phillips Hot Rods /Eastwood Products. Glad I tried it, learned alot. Need help? It snowed 7" here today, high winds and temp is now 11 F. You're in Georgia ? How's tomorrow sound?

I've watched Lazze's. Eastwood and others videos and learned a lot about bead rolling etc. I'm not familiar with Covell. I'll have to check it out.
Tomorrow we are only hitting 61 degrees but Saturday it's supposed to be 74. Might be the better day.lol
Snow is fun to look at but I'm glad we don't get much here.
What is your next project?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Oh, Ok. I'll wait. I have to order the bed strips and get started on the bed floor. I picked up some hickory, you may have seen it in some of the pic's. Once I get the strips I'll be able to groove and size the boards to fit. My buddy owns a welding shop and I sat down with him and designed an emblem for the tailgate. His son plays with a CNC milling machine and is going to knock it out, hopefully soon. The list is getting shorter.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:53 pm

MACGIVER wrote:Oh, Ok. I'll wait. I have to order the bed strips and get started on the bed floor. I picked up some hickory, you may have seen it in some of the pic's. Once I get the strips I'll be able to groove and size the boards to fit. My buddy owns a welding shop and I sat down with him and designed an emblem for the tailgate. His son plays with a CNC milling machine and is going to knock it out, hopefully soon. The list is getting shorter.

I love those kind of buddies! Looking forward to the pictures!
Last edited by captainbob on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:20 pm

I unwrapped the bed strips I ordered from Mar-K and was pleased with the quality and thickness. I opted for the polished stainless with hidden fasteners, just liked the clean look they provide. Dug out the table saw, ripped and grooved the boards according to the dimensions they provided on their website. Sanded and broke the edges, then applied several coats of spar varnish. That stuff takes forever to dry so it took a few days to complete, but most of the bedwood guys recommend it as the finish of choice. I'm happy with the outcome.
Attachments
IMG_9831.jpg
IMG_9833.jpg
IMG_9843.jpg
IMG_9844.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:30 pm

MACGIVER, you are making me an embarrassment to the IH community. That is beautiful work! I needed a push to get to work on mine and this is it. Your truck is probably twice or more what it was when new. Awesome!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:36 pm

No way, Bob, I've seen the pic's of your truck, top shelf. I'm just a little ahead of you, timewise. The little details near the end of a build make it really come together.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:43 pm

MACGIVER wrote:No way, Bob, I've seen the pic's of your truck, top shelf. I'm just a little ahead of you, timewise. The little details near the end of a build make it really come together.

You are definitely ahead of me. I need to get busy so we can have a tailgate party and show off our tailgates! lol I have some pretty cool ideas, if I can pull them off. Your truck is an inspiration for sure.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:50 pm

Speaking of tailgates, my buddy came through. I'm thrilled, but I have yet to see what the "payback" will be.lol
Attachments
IMG_9836.jpg
fresh off the mill
IMG_9840.jpg
sanded, polished, detailed
IMG_9845.jpg
had to cover those holes with something

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:55 pm

MACGIVER wrote:Speaking of tailgates, my buddy came through. I'm thrilled, but I have yet to see what the "payback" will be.lol

I guess you are! That is top notch work! Beautiful tailgate. That is going to be hard to equal. Now I'm depressed. lol
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB Build-Off