1948 KBS 6

The place to put your K or KB "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:47 pm

Re: 1948 KBS 6

I have a Spicer parts book for the brownie if you need help with numbers. It has a cross reference for IHC, Ford, Chevy, Dodge and whoever else's pn's so if one number doesn't get any search results there are others to try. I like what you've done/will do with your truck.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:13 am

Just an update , I have gotten a lot better shifting my truck . What I have found is this , my problem has been in the timing . trying to shift to soon . Waiting till the right time to get into the next gear is key , not to soon and not to late . It's an acquired skill , if I had a tach I could properly describe the point but its some thing that I'm getting a feel for , after about 2000 miles . Actually kind of like being able to do it . I know you truckers have got to be rolling your eyes at this but it feels like the first time I broke the wheels and tires down , like I was part of the club .Seems to be part of the nostalgia of driving this thing , not sure how soon or if I'm going to switch to the synchronized trans , There is enough power to concider putting in the auxilliry trans , but I think that 57-60 mph will do for awhile . the advantage of the aux.trans would be to get more range from the lower gears as well as a easier top end for the motor , do an easy 57, 60 mph instead of the limit . Anyway for now I think that I will next do the dump bed , when time allows .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Even the "experts" had to learn at some point. Heck, some never get it. You'll be just fine, it just takes practice and developing an "ear" for RPM's and shift points. On top of that, every truck has its own personality, and it comes with seat time, IMO. Glad you are having fun with it, makes it all worth it. Nice job.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:57 pm

MACGIVER wrote:Heck, some never get it.

My brother had a coworker who'd been driving truck for years say to him "I'm strong, I'll get it into gear!" If you get to shifting that pretty good you won't have any trouble with a modern class 8 truck tranny.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:13 pm

manicmechanic wrote:I'm really not sure what is going on with it Dean , I'm trying to understand what you are saying , I don't know how they work. All I remember of the old rear is that only one wheel had traction but I don't remember if that switched , I'm thinking it must have because both axels had splines and gears . Was it limited slip ? The carrier thats in there now is from a ww2 military surplus . and I don't know if that makes a difference but was hoping for some more feedback .

I'm reading this 12 Mar 16, just to prevent the flames... :whistling2:
This is probably answered further on in the thread, but WW2 military IHC's had 'Thornton' lockers: think 'Detroit'. They're very similar, and THAT would in fact give you exactly what you're seeing.
Mike

I'm from the top half of the bottom third...and you?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:31 pm

I am very impressed with your truck! It's just 'way cool! The red wheels are perfect. I can't think of a thing you've done and written about concerning this truck, that hasn't been top notch. Well done, indeed! :D
With the Brownie mount doughnuts: Ford and Chevy/GMC, as well as IHC and Dodge, all used their versions of this aux trans, and all that I've seen have been very similar in mounting. The only real differences I've ever seen are the ratios, designated by the letter appended to the basic number, as in 5831-C, and the U-joint arrangements. I doubt you'll have much problem finding the doughnuts. Check with Inland Truck Parts: they have been lifesavers for me in such situations.
Mike

I'm from the top half of the bottom third...and you?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:30 pm

Just caught up with your post , thank you . I'm going to have to look up that rear diff you mentioned . Hope you get a deal worth taking on the truck you were looking at , I've got some extra parts and a bought and paid for learning experience that I would love to share .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 am

Freckles wrote:
manicmechanic wrote:I'm really not sure what is going on with it Dean , I'm trying to understand what you are saying , I don't know how they work. All I remember of the old rear is that only one wheel had traction but I don't remember if that switched , I'm thinking it must have because both axels had splines and gears . Was it limited slip ? The carrier thats in there now is from a ww2 military surplus . and I don't know if that makes a difference but was hoping for some more feedback .

I'm reading this 12 Mar 16, just to prevent the flames... :whistling2:
This is probably answered further on in the thread, but WW2 military IHC's had 'Thornton' lockers: think 'Detroit'. They're very similar, and THAT would in fact give you exactly what you're seeing.

Just wanted to thank you for explaining that , looks like it makes sense , every time I try , it spins both sides , I'm loving it !
Previous

Return to K and KB Build-Off